Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slow Recovery vs. Morphing?

ReptileGirl

Reaction score
I was looking through some of the wonderful pictures here and I am beginning to wonder if my lotl is morphing. I know that sometimes gills are tiny because of poor conditions (like those he came from) - but they also shrink while morphing, which can also result from poor conditions. Is there a way to tell the difference? I mean, other than ending up with a salamander. How long does morphing usually take? His gills seem fuzzier, but they're still small - how long does recovery usually take? I'll take pictures as soon as I can.

6-6.5 inches long
Male
Had him for about 3 weeks

Quentari

Reaction score
Well I had an axie for three months that had small gills and the gills didn't get any longer. They did get nice and fluffy though, sometimes it's genetics or overbiting when they're young.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you maybe add a photo so we can see..it is possible you may have a tiger salamander larva that is morphing.

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
I've had my female for about as long as you've had yours and her gills were small coming here as well. They've definitely gotten fluffier in that time, but not longer, so I'm assuming if it happens it takes awhile or just won't happen at all.

skelly98

Reaction score
Strange... My first axie's gills got bigger after a few weeks in my tank.. and fluffier, too.

ReptileGirl

Reaction score
Ok this is starting to make more sense. I just took some pictures - so I'm going to figure out how to post them in a few, but also thank you to everyone whose had advice so far :)

ReptileGirl

Reaction score
Ok here he is in his new tank. Of course the only clear picture was the one with spots on the glass. Hope this helps, and thanks!

Attachments

• smiguel.jpg
    smiguel.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,993
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1