Very cloudy water

TaHsCo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had my tank set up for about a month now ... for the first week it was fine. the water was clear as could be and the axolotl was super happy. about the second week the water got really cloudy. and since i have not been able to get rid of it.. i can not do to many water changes because i buy my water from the pet store and it is a half hour away and i dont drive ... i have done what i can but it wont go away ... this happened to me before when i had him in a 5 gallon but the cloudiness after about 2 weeks just kinda went away ... is there anything i can do or dose anyone know what my problem may be ... the axolotl seems fine is eating well and everything

please help if u can, many thanks :)

Look up cycling online for your tank. It's the first thing you do even before you buy an axolotl. Start doing water changes 10% every day for the next 3-4 weeks. It will cycle but you are doing it the hard way, the way that kills many of a axolotl. Cut way back on the feeding too during this time. Every other day.

Why do you buy your water at a petstore?

What kind of wAter is it?

Can you post some pictures of the tank?

What are the water parameters? Ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph?

What kind of filter are you using? How big of a tank and how many axolotls

Dechlorinated tap water is probably the best water you can use for an axolotl unless there is a reason to why you cant use your tap water. Seems like a waste of money for water when you should be doing quite a bit of water changes

Is your tank cycled? Well i guess i could figure that out from water parameters.

You should always have enough water to do daily water changes if you have to because if you cant id really suggest you taking your lotls out of the tank doing 100%water changes in a tuperware container to make surw they are in fresh clean water. So regardless you should have water..

Do you have sand in your tank?

Please answer all these quesfions for us to better aid you :) it really is important for the welfare of your lotl because it can be many things from a simple bacterial bloom to your filter malfunctioning and leaking toxins to maybe an uncycled tank and the water is dirty etc.. So it is very important!

I would really suggest testing the water before starting wTer changes. 10%may not be enough to keep the levels low enough for an lotl. I suggest 20% daily unless your levels are off the chart then maybe a bit bigger. The larger the water changes the longer it will take to cycle but
You have to put into account the welfare of your lotl. Also a test kit is a must to have expecially if you are cycling with your axolotl since the spikes can kill your axolotl if not properly watched.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back