Red gill feathers?

hairypumpkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed yesterday that my little leucistic juvie has two or three red gill feathers on the tip of his gill. They are a much darker color than the others (pink). A few hours before I saw the red feathers I noticed that the one gill section was curled (not as in stressed, but like...a ram's horn?) at the tip. Like it got stuck to itself or something?

His gills are very long, is it just bruised or something? Is this normal?

I can't get a photo right now, or at least a clear one.

Thank you everyone. : )

Oh and tank perimeters are irrelevant because the tank is not cycled. He is in a 10g that is approx 50% full. He gets a 75% water change every day or every other day if I'm extraordinarily busy. Fed live European Nightcrawlers from my bin. I have a sponge filter and bubble bar in with him (along with a hid and java moss), he is approx 5 1/2in long

Okay, I got you guys some pictures : )

hairypumpkin-albums-d-picture29314-alabasters-gills.jpg

He just got done eating, so it's not as noticeable right now, but when he's been calm for a little while it's very easy to see.

hairypumpkin-albums-d-picture29315-alabasters-gills2.jpg

From the side. You see how the top gill on his right side is sort of curling under? That's what is was doing earlier, but more curled... like a fern frond.

Honestly it doesn't look like anything serious. Someone else chime in if I'm wrong but it doesn't look like something to be worried about. Sometimes my axie's gills will curl backwards a little like that. Not quite as much, but close to it. As for the color I'd say possibly a bruise. Not quite sure so keep an eye on it for us and keep us updated.

Thank you : )

I'm new to this, and I'm not really sure what to expect haha

He is acting fine and eating great.
I think it might be a bruise or something like a blood blister? That is the only thing I can compare it to on humans anyway. x)

Thank you for your help!

Very big gills always seem to curl at the top a little, probably because they're very thick and bend because of the weight. It doesn't seem to affect them at all, in fact, big gills are seen as very desirable and healthy in axolotls! :)

Albinos in particular can be prone to dark pink/red gills because this is where their blood is concentrated. I can't see any really dark patches, but if it really is a bruise, food and just keeping the water clean will solve it (it's an internal thing and should clear up with time). Personally, I think it's just where that axolotl has a particularly high concentration of blood, which is making the gills look darker - it's probably more visible when he's active, if that's the case. That's completely normal - my golden albino is much the same. His gills are very dark pink but practically red when he's active.

He's a very handsome boy anyway :)

Some of my axies have this too i think it normal not every feather on the gill will be exactly the same, i have one axie that one side of the gills are longer and more full than the other side and most of them curl like that on the longer side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back