Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: When should I let my axies live together?

skelly98

Reaction score
So, I'm following quarantine procedures (although I don't think it is necessary because they came from the same shop, who I'm pretty sure got them from the same breeder) , but there is a bit of a size difference- about one inch, one of them is 4-5 inches, the other one is 3-4.

Should I be worried about letting them live together after qt, or is it fine? The tank is a twenty gallon long, and I don't think I can make a divider (pricey, plus my mom would kill me if I tried making one).

So, is a one inch size difference ok? Or should I turn quarantine into a longer affair?

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
If you quarantine them for 1month they should be okay. Id reccommend then being at least 5-6" before putting them together but one inch should not be a huge deal. In one month though if you feed them well they should easily be that siZe. My juveniles are almost 4months and are 5" and my 6month olds are 8" so they are catching up in size quickly

layna

Reaction score
when i bought my axies they were all 3" and i had 4 together, as they grew i kept them together until there was a little more than 1" difference, then i put the bigger two together and the little two together. There was a few nipped gills but thats it injury wise :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!