Two Crazy Axies

hannahll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hannah
I've had my axolotls together for a couple months now and before, they were pretty normal. They didn't usually sit near each other. They would just mind their own business. Now, they are really close and i think they might be male & female. What they like to do is climb on top of each other, follow each other, try to go underneath one another.. it's strange.
Is this normal for two happy friends? or are they lovers.....

It is completely normal. Axolotl are rather social creatures and will often form strong bonds with their tank mates. They like piling up together and just generally interacting with one another. My two will often sit in the same corner and cuddle. When they are seperated they will often pine for the other and appear generally depressed so I never seperate them unless it's 100% necessary. It could also be that they have formed a mating bond although axolotl don't form a life long mate. My two aren't mates and have formed a tight friendship bond :)

Are they extremely 'active' all the time, doing things like that? If yes it might be a "I want to make little baby axies-dance"

Everytime i've seen them lately they've been very active and INTERactive.
My female is only a year old and my male is maybe only half as old, not sure if that means anything though!

Ah not 100% sure. I've heard that males mature faster than females. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back