Question: New tank, new axys, newbie owner - water quality issues

ClaireNZ

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi I set up a 60L tank 5 days ago - didn't cycle water :-( but am trying to get it right now.

I have two golden albino axys about 6 months old. One is very active and keeps swimming into the walls. I think this might be because he was in a much bigger tank before. The other one is not very active at all. Is this different responses to stress, or different personalities??

Water readings:

Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0

I've been doing 20% water changes daily and am adding StressZyme daily. How long will it take for the biological filter to develop? (Its a second hand tank and filter but was in storage for a while).
The advice I got from the local fish shop was to not feed them for a week. Is this true?

I want to know my little guys are ok....I would be grateful for any advice or reassurance.

Hello fellow Kiwi :D

Perfectly normal behaviour and most probably just different personalities :) Signs of stress include forward turned gills and/or curled tail tip.

As for cycling it varies quite a lot.. It should take around 6 weeks I believe but for some it takes three months for other a couple of weeks. It also depends on if you have access to a already cycled tank that is in use. You are doing everything right so far - keep on those water changes to stop it from being too toxic for your axy.

You should feed less during cycling but I wouldn't go a week. My two are being feed every three days but thats because they refuse to eat any more often. But while my tank is cycling it's quite handy only feeding every three days :)

Thanks Jess, that makes me feel better. I'll make sure they get dinner tonight :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back