Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

About to be a NEW Breeder!!

officerPuckles

Reaction score
I went to my local pet store today, and to own happiness discovered they were selling tons of Axie Juvies!! They are 40 $ a pop and in black wild type as well as pink leucistic. My axie, Puckles (whom I believe is to be a female) GFP Leucistic is an adult and I have been heavily thinking about starting breeding. Not an intense thing just more of a, "let's let them be friends and hopefully they make babies type deal)

So I was wondering if there is maybe a beginner breeder post link? Or any advice!
I have a 75 gallon tank, and was thinking about adopting a black wildtype female and a leucistic female from the store (since they are from the same family and wont show aggression since they've been living together already) So will they show any aggression to Puckles? When I bought Puckles she was in a tank by herself and has been ever since so hopefully she wont lash out.
How do I introduce them to eachother?
How are eggs maintained and kept safe (i assume I seperate them into a different tank once they are popped out)

All the help in the world will be accepted! Thanks guys! Hopefully I can contribute into helping maintain the Axolotl Kingdom safe and alive!

officerPuckles

Reaction score
ALSO! Since I really am not too sure about the sex of Puckles, does anybody have any really obvious images of females and males? Sometimes I see a bump, and sometimes I don't!

melfly

Reaction score
Hi

If they are Juvies you wont be able to sex them yet anyway.

They are not particularly territorial so you shouldn't have much problem introducing them.
Quarantine new ones for 28 days (if i recall correctly)

And as above if the axolotls are different sizes you shouldn't house them together.

Mel

officerPuckles

Reaction score
I figured as much to not house them together, the juvies are almost mature, just a couple more months. I don't have a separate tank so I was hoping to buy something to just section my tank in half with in case they get aggressive or something to eachother. And to be sure the Juvies mature and don't get attacked by Puckles

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1