Transporting Spanish ribbed newts

KenW

Reaction score
Country
United States
In February my pair of Spanish ribbed newts (Pleurodeles waltl) laid some eggs. The 150 larvae have thrived and it is time to find them new homes. The largest are 3 inches long. They look like little adults while some still have their gills. This Friday I will be bringing some newts to the local reptile and amphibian society to sell to members. It's about a 30 minute car ride over to the meeting. Next week I will be driving the remaining newts to a pet shop about a one hour's drive away.

What I need is ideas on how to best transport them. Reading through some of the previous posts on this subject, I've seen several posts indicating that newts can be transported in plastic containers/Tupperware with wet paper towels. Can several/many newts be in the same container? Also, what is the best way to transport the newt larvae with gills? I'm assuming those with gills need to be kept in water. Should I transport them in covered tubs? buckets? plastic bags? Should I put aquatic plants in the water?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If all of your young are still living in water then I would transport them in water. I usually move young axolotl in an Eskie as the insulation prevents any sudden change in water temperatures. Non of your journeys are particularly long so your young will be fine. Put some aquatic plants in there with them as this will give them something to hide in or hold on to. Good luck.

Regards Neil

Thanks for the suggestions Neil. I like your suggestions of the cooler and aquatic plants. I'm hoping the water doesn't slosh around and get them too dizzy/disoriented during the car rides.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back