T. shanking or T. kweichowensis

mmfh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have wanted some emperor newts for a long time. Saw two this Sunday at a reptile show. They seem very friendly and inquisitive. They each ate a worm Monday night and again ate one worm Tuesday night. One took the worm right from the tongs. I also picked out some poop. But I am unsure what size or consistancy it should be. The stuff I took out was brown/black mush and only about a bean size worth. Currently they are in a temporary tank because they are more than likely wild caught and i want to make sure they are both eating and defecting and healthy. I had just assumed they were T. shanjing until I started looking at pictures. Now I am wondering if they are T. Kweichowensis ? The reason I'm wondering is that mine do not have orange legs just orange toes. Plus, how much should they eat? Every day or every other day and is one worm enough or should they eat two or three? If anyone can help me out that would be great, thank you. Here are some pics:
1372125865.jpg

1372125968.jpg

Those are Tylototrion Yangi, they can be housed in a semi-aquatic habitat as they are more aquatic than kweichow. Best of luck with these guys. You should be able to sex them by checking the cloaca. Females will have a volcano shaped cloaca and males will have a slight bulge and a longer slit. You can check my forum for pics of my yangi tank and such. Those are quite a colorful pair you have there though :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back