Hello from the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State

sundodger

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just recieved my first four newts (Japanese Fire Belly) from Michael Shrom so now I feel official. :D I actually live a couple blocks from the headquarters of Olympic National Park (ONP) and have done a lot of field herping in the area. I'm very fortunate to have a creek that comes out of the park about a half block from my house and I often go down there with my herping buddy a miniature Aussie Shepherd. Nothing returns home with me, we have some pretty ambiguous herping laws in this state and as a school teacher of many children whose parents are ONP employees it really wouldn't be very wise of me to even risk it. So don't go asking me to send you a couple of Giant Pacifics or Copes Salamanders. :happy:

As I mentioned the Fire Bellies from Michael are my first captive amphibians and I'm excited to see where the captive husbandry part of the hobby takes me. I've decided to try the husbandry side of things after finding so many dessicated rough skinned-newts in my students desks and lockers. The four newts will be a part of my class and hopefully satiate the curiosity of my students saving some wild newts in the process.

Gunnar Thomason (Sundodger)

Welcome to the forum! All my favorite salamanders are from the NW. I hope you enjoy your backyard herping!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back