Terrestrial FBN advice

rew111

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I've had my cynops orientalis for a month now, she's a fully grown adult, in a decent setup with all the water tests coming back good. I've been keeping her land areas semi-submerged in water to try and encourage her to become more aquatic but unfortunately to no avail. Occasionally she'll go down and have a look around for food, but after an hour or so will always swim straight back up to land, often staying there for days on end. I'm considering keeping her in a more terrestrial setup as she is confined to a small area just now, and since she never seems to really use the water, it doesn't seem to make much sense keeping a tank nearly which is nearly fully aquatic. Is there any real issues i should be aware of with this? I'll be keeping a few inches of water in some of the tank and if i see her using it more, i'll change the setup again. She seems more willing to feed under water too which is a bit of a worry, but i have spotted her chomping on an earthworm on land too.
Any advice or anyone with a similar experience of a supposedly aquatic newt being not so aquatics feedback would be appreciated.

Put her in a fully aquatic set up. WIth plenty of plants. Don't give her a choice.

I think you can keep a small land area floating on an aquatic set-up and I imagine it will not be too long before it will become fully aquatic. My juveniles take a whilt to go down into the water full time, and many just like sitting on the floating bark and venture occasionally into the water. As long as the animal still feeds well, and feeds in the water, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Put it in a tank with lots of floating vegetation, and no way to get out of the water. She will get used to it without a land area and once she starts staying in the water you can put it back in. Dont worry about drowning fbn are 99% aquatic normally. Like I said if your worried about it put lots of floating plants in because they need that anyway

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back