Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Re-introduction

sandra71

Reaction score
Hi all I posted before about my axolotls fighting.
Well 1 ended up losing a leg, I've had the little 1 in another tank to recuperate but he looks thoroughly miserable and eating properly.
Anyway long story short I'm going to put little 1 back in big tank with divider but how long before I can take the divider out.
Also do I need to float the little 1 in the big tank again before letting him out.

I'm really worried that the bigger 1 will eat at the little 1 again when I remove the divider.

Thanks

Sandra

Quentari

Reaction score
I'd let him acclimate to the temp before putting him in, yes. And I'd suggest at least 3 days. What's the size difference between the two? If there's too big of a difference it might be better to leave the divider in until he's grown some more.

Also you probably have already been told this but to minimize munching make sure there's at least one hide each, preferably two and preferably open so they can escape and not get trapped if the other one's bullying. Also maybe up the feeding, usually munching happens because one of them is hungry. Feed them separately if you need to

sandra71

Reaction score
just tried measure them the big 1 is about 20 inches the other is a bit smaller probably about 15-16 inch. They have a few hides pots and pipes to hide in.
I am feeding them every 2nd day that's what they were having when I got them in April so do you think I should feed maybe every day the big 1 always looks hungry while the little 1 isn't eating much just now anything that goes in the tank even the turkey baster or my hand the big 1 wants to eat it lol he looks huge compared to the little 1

sandra71

Reaction score
sorry forgot to say they were the same size roughly who
when I got them I can't seem to upload photos though

sandra71

Reaction score
here are some pictures

Attachments

• first day April 2013.jpg
    first day April 2013.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 113
  • big1.jpg
    big1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 101
  • little 1.jpg
    little 1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 97

auntiejude

Reaction score
just tried measure them the big 1 is about 20 inches the other is a bit smaller probably about 15-16 inch.
Are you sure you mean inches?! I suspect its cm.....
You could try slightly less food but feed them every day, mine are around 15cm and I feed them daily.

Quentari

Reaction score
If they're the same size but different lengths then they should be okay to go back together. How big is the tank?

Quentari

Reaction score
I know you said their lengths are different, but are their head and body sizes similar? or is one just all-over smaller than the other? I had an axie with a rather short tail, so was a lot shorter than her tank-mates but her head and body were the same size. It depends. 4ft should be fine for the two of them so at least it's not the tank size.

sandra71

Reaction score
I finally got the big to sit still long enough to measure him he is just over 9 inches the other 1 is smaller all over, scared to put little 1 back in tank incase big 1 has a go again.

I know you said their lengths are different, but are their head and body sizes similar? or is one just all-over smaller than the other? I had an axie with a rather short tail, so was a lot shorter than her tank-mates but her head and body were the same size. It depends. 4ft should be fine for the two of them so at least it's not the tank size.

Quentari

Reaction score
I finally got the big to sit still long enough to measure him he is just over 9 inches the other 1 is smaller all over, scared to put little 1 back in tank incase big 1 has a go again.

Then leave the divider in until the smaller one has caught up in size

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1