Question: Is the considered piebald or just freckled

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have got my gfp leucistic axy since it was 2 months old when i got it , it had little tiny light markings on its face , it is 7 months old and now the markings are on its back around the shoulders and face , im curious to know if its piebald or just dirty face?

Attachments

• 20130628_171816.jpg
    20130628_171816.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,960
Looks like a heavily marked leucistic to me..... I thought piebalds had much darker markings - black instead of grey.

That would be a heavily marked leucistic like my Giles

Attachments

• 20130415_091306.jpg
    20130415_091306.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,184
What makes a piebald a piebald? Or a harlequin?

I think what is considered a piebald or a harlequin is when their black spots are on half of their body, so its kinda split between black and white, sorta like yin yang :yin-yang: hahah.
Or it can be like really really heavy spots covering the whole thing to the point where it looks like it was black with white spots, but really its just a Bunch of black spots. hope this helped!

These pics ARE NOT mine, off the internet, but i think 1 or 2 may have come from this site though, but heres kind of an example:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• axo123.jpg
    axo123.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,665
  • axo1234.jpg
    axo1234.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 656
I wouldn't consider Giles or the original poster's axolotl heavily marked. When I think heavily marked, I think this.

Piebald animals display patches of albinism, while harlequins display 3 or more colors (like a calico cat).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back