Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can you fridge juvenile axies?! Need quick answer!

karipatra

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I made an earlier post about fridging my axies due to the heat wave we are having in Seattle the next week or so, but forgot to mention that they are juveniles. They are good sized, over 6 inches, but none the less, only 5-6 months old. Is it still okay to fridge them? I don't know what else to do, as my room is not staying cool, even now, and it's 86 outside and it's just going to get hotter! :(

Thanks for the much needed advice and stay cool, everyone!

karipatra

Reaction score
Put them in last night. Felt horrible doing it, though. The look Audrey gave me when I shut the fridge door was a little heart breakingly confused: "What's going on?! Why am I in this small container. Don't shut the door!" :eek:

I know I'm transferring human emotion onto an axie, but that was the look she gave me and I felt horrible. :(

But better that than losing them both to the heat.

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Mine have been in the fridge for two weeks. They're juveniles as well. About six inches. We've had to deal with some heat lately here too. It was 103 with a dewpoint of 74 Thursday if I remember right. I haven't seen any ill effects of fridging on my axies. In fact they look much happier than they were in a hot tank. I do have chiller stuff ordered but it has been on back order for a couple weeks so I have been forced to fridge. The only thing that's really different is their eating pattern. Mine have only eaten a small piece of worm each. But they don't look skinny because they haven't lost weight thanks to the low temps. So I have no doubt in my mind that your axies will be okay too! :)

karipatra

Reaction score
Oh yes, Audrey is toodling around that container like she doesn't have a care in the world! She looks a LOT more comfortable than I feel right now in this heat! LOL :p

axolotllove

Reaction score
My axies are enduring our little Seattle heatwave as well. Our home is really warm, but I've managed to keep their tank a cool, breezy 70-72. I say breezy because I have a clip on fan blowing on them and added an air pump with bubble wall. Advice I read here. Also froze some 2 liter soda bottles filled with dechlorinated water. Been rotating bottles from tank to freezer. Seems to be working. I started using little 16.9 oz water bottles and I was swapping them out every 30-40 minutes.

karipatra

Reaction score
Yep, tried all of that, but no go. When I found it at 72.4 when I got home, and that was days ago when it was cooler, I threw in the towel and fridged them.

The tank right now is sitting at 80 degrees, and that's still with the fan cooler and fans in my room, so very glad they are safe and ALIVE in the fridge, as my coworker lost the 2 I gave her because she wasn't on top of the heat issue. :(

Stay cool and safe, everyone! :D

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
With our heat waves we've been having I've been able to keep my water at a consistent 72-74 which I know is hot but it is still not stressing my axies out, the second I see it any higher though I will probably end up fridging at least Echo and texas, then spending my time trying to keep the 10gallon rubbermaid cool with my 5" juveniles, if worst case scenerio I have to fridge them all it is ALWAYS better then them dying from the heat.

axolotllove

Reaction score
That's a shame about the two that succumbed to the heat. I've been considering fridging because one of my axies seems to be having an anxiety attach over the bubble wall, but s/he always acts like s/he needs therapy and meds. :wacko: I'm kidding. They all have different personalities and this one is skiddish and cautious.

Can you fridge them in the same container? My pair get along very well and are inseparable.

Also do you put the cover on the container...? I better read the fridging info.

axolotllove

Reaction score
Haha. Not of us are in the fridge yet. ;)

This heat is nasty!

Sharon, are you in eastern or western Washington? Either way it's hot. Parts of eastern Washington are suppose to reach like 103. I definitely wouldn't want to be there because I'm a big baby when it comes to the heat. That's why my axie-babies and I get along so well! ;)

karipatra

Reaction score
Axolotlove: Yes, they can be in the same container. Mine are together in their container and are fine. Yes, the lid should be put on. Don't have to totally lock it, but make sure it's lightly on, then you can tape it on the sides so no one leaps out.

I have mine in a sterilite container with a locking lid, but the hinges have gaps into the container itself, and the lid is not air tight, so they are fine.

Here they are commiserating about their plight! LOL :p

Attachments

• get-attachment (41).jpg
    get-attachment (41).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 283
  • get-attachment (43).jpg
    get-attachment (43).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 254

axolotllove

Reaction score
Ahhhh. Your axies are so cute. I love the first pic. Thanks for the info. I'm clearing a shelf in the fridge right now. :D

Mortimer

Reaction score
Don't know how you do it. Their frozen bloodworm popsicles are melting before they hit the water.:errr:

Now I'm getting up every 15 minutes to check the temp in the tank and in Mortimer's tub. This is stressful!!! I'm thinking the fridge might be safer, but I checked the temp of some water I put in there earlier, and it seems way too cold! Do you know what temp the water is in your fridge and what's okay for them?

Quentari

Reaction score
Now I'm getting up every 15 minutes to check the temp in the tank and in Mortimer's tub. This is stressful!!! I'm thinking the fridge might be safer, but I checked the temp of some water I put in there earlier, and it seems way too cold! Do you know what temp the water is in your fridge and what's okay for them?

So long as it doesn't freeze they should be okay :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1