Introducing, again

Plc98

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have 2 female axies, one wild type, and one lecustic with the glowing mutation. About a year ago, on Easter 2012, I tried putting them together, they weren't very large at the time, and I wasn't a very experienced owner at the time, so after about a week, just as I was trying out a new cooling system, the wild type attacked the lecustic one, and the lecustic one lost a leg. I was wondering if it would be safe to put them back together again, the lecustic one is 5.5 inches, and the wild type is 7.25 inches.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks

You'll need to wait until they are closer to the same size, there's quite a difference at the moment.
What size is your tank? Do you have room for a divider?

My tank is 10 gallons, it already has a divider in it, it has for the past year or so. It is 12*20*10 inches. Do you have any recommendations for feeding that will get them to roughly the same size?

I would say that the tank you have is too small for one axie, let alone two. You either need to upgrade your tank, or have them in separate tanks.
Earthworms seem to make them grow rather fast! This may have an adverse affect one the other one ;) It may be that the smaller one may not really grow much more as they are already at least a year old.

I would say that the tank you have is too small for one axie, let alone two. You either need to upgrade your tank, or have them in separate tanks.
Earthworms seem to make them grow rather fast! This may have an adverse affect one the other one ;) It may be that the smaller one may not really grow much more as they are already at least a year old.

Yes, I'm getting a new tank in about two weeks, the tank they're in now is was their juvenile tank. I'm not sure exactly how old they are, I think about 2 years. They have still been growing slowly. Thank you!

Fantastic! How exciting that you get to axiescape a new tank :) What size? Don't forget to post pics when you have it :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back