Floating and pooping gravel

allyr81

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all..
As some Would remember I brought a black axie off gumtree and she was regurgitating large quantities of gravel at last count she had 40 now, she now is floating at the top and her poop has gravel after doing a partial water change we have counted 10 so all up about 50.... She is still eating her worms, and only goes down to the bottom of the tank after eating... I've always had a bare bottom tank no gravel, so I'm guessing the gravel is from her previous owner... I'm worried about the floating and how many more bits of gravel could she have in her???

I've had mine for 4 months and I still find the occasional piece of gravel in poop! It takes a while if they've been kept on gravel, but unless she appears to be in distress (unhappy with floating or thrashing around) I would leave her be.

I don't know if she's unhappy or it's me that's unhappy cause I don't know if she is ok,
Thank you for your reply :)

It could be that 50 pieces of gravel added substantial weight to your little lotl & would have made floating impossible - now that it's all out she's enjoying the luxury of a float & making up for lost float time.

My theory on floating - if the tank parameters & temp are good & the lotl is not showing signs of distress plus most importantly if they're eating & pooping then it's most likely natural behaviour - I have quite a few that just love to lurk near the surface - especially if they can hang onto a plant & hang out in bubbles or filter waterfalls :D

I hope it's all normal & fine - I also hope you see an end to the gravel soon - keep us updated please :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Thanks Nikki
I think that's maybe what is happening, but I will keep you all posted over the next few days, :)

Another partial water change and clean up of poop on bottom of the tank, and we have a total of 53 pieces of white gravel, unbelievable, this has got to be it... She also looks alot thinner then when I first brought her.... Ahhhh why in the world would someone use gravel in an axolotl tank....:mad: I can only imagine what her stomach feels like...:confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back