Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please help Sick axolotl

gizmo84

Reaction score
Hi I recently brought our 1st axolotl for my dayghters birthday 3 weeks ago. It is quiet small (around 2") and the pet shop sold it less than half price because they dont keep small ones and wanted rid :( I had the tank set up for a week before we got him. He has been happy in the tank but has spent alot of the time floating at the top since day one (dont no if this is normal) It is an albino and was completely white when we got it, a few days ago it started getting colour on its gills. Yesterday however I came home from work and thought it was dead! The day before it looked normal and active and now it was floating at the top and looks like its disintigrating, I touched it and it didnt move. Its skins peeling everywhere! I left it in there so my daughter could say goodbye to it. This morning my daughter came home from her friends and we were about to get him out when suddenly he dived to the bottom of the tank then back up! He really doesnt look good. Im not sure how to upload pics. What can I do to help him? I've had a google and put him in fresh water in the fridge but cant find anything like how he looks. He has a 30 litre plastic tank, no substrate, a cave and a cube rock thing. I have been changing about 20% of the water in the tank every few days. I have been using tap water that has been left sitting for a few days. He has been eating frozen blood worm and a few worms, he doesnt eat unless I wiggle it infront of him. Sorry for the long 1st post! x

FX1C

Reaction score
You need to use a dechlorinator to remove chloramines from your tap water..

Keep it somewhere cool & dark - not in the fridge - and add dechlorinator to the tap water measured accurately. You could add some black tea to the temporary container it's in - this water should be changed daily with tea added daily.. It may help to soothe the slime coat which has obviously been irritated by toxic water issues..

Things essential to owning any water creature are....
Dechlorinator
Master liquid test kit
An accurate thermometer

Please keep this little one in fresh water - that has been dechlorinated - and make sure you get test kit to ensure the tank is healthy before putting this one back into that tank..

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372590926.985294.jpg

This is the method for using black tea.

I hope it helps - please keep us updated

<3 >o_o< <3

pookiewn

Reaction score
This side of the pond they haven't really started using chloramines, however a quick google of your postcode followed by water quality will prove this. If this is the case, letting water sit for 48hrs is fine.

By the pictures you posted, it looks like the little one has fungus. Here's how to give salt baths to treat it. The best thing for him at the moment would be to put him in a tub with 100% water changes everyday.

If you haven't already, now much be a good time to cycle your tank. Once cycled, a small internal or air filter will keep the water parameters a lot more stable. This will mean once a week water changes rather than every day :)

Dipsy66

Reaction score
I agree with Nikki, it definitely looks like a bad case of fungus. I've only had my axies 3 weeks and already had to fridge one and give her salt baths due to fungus.....the great news was after 5 days she has made a fantastic recovery.

If you go down that route, don't do what I did....first 2 baths were in iodized salt until I realised my error...then I panicked but was given great reassurance on here that I hadn't done any lasting damage. I got the right NON-iodized salt and continued the treatment...it was a great relief on day 7 to release my axie, healed, back into her tank with her pal.

I'll keep all crossed that you are able to so something to help this little one. Please keep us updated.

Kind regards.

gizmo84

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do have a small filter that came with a fish tank I had a couple of years ago but never got used. I didnt put it in as I read they dont like movement which the filter causes?
I shall get some water test kits and keep an eye on water to see where its gone wrong. He seems alot more alive now than he was yesterday. I have left him in the fridge. How do they get fungus is it due to water? Also if its not fungus and I do salt baths will this harm him? I want to be sure Im doing the right thing as I read they dont like salt baths and dont want to add anymore stress than I need to.
Im glad to read you had fungus problems and all is healed now. I feel terrible :( I hope he survives! x

gizmo84

Reaction score
I have table salt in the supboard and rock salt. How do I no if either are ok? x

pondweed

Reaction score
It should say on the salt packaging whether or not it's iodised.

Keep a sample of your current tank's water so you can test it to determine whether the levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrates are too high. As to your question, there are water-borne funguses. (The clean-up crew of the natural world!) As the 'Lotl has been stressed from the move to its new home, and if there are toxins building up in the water the changes you've been performing haven't kept on top, that'll have stressed it more. Stress, compromised immune system, fungus gets a hold.

If your 'Lotl makes it through its illness, I'd advise preparing to get a larger tank. Two foot is adequate for an adult axolotl. While your 30 litre will do it while it grows, it'll soon outgrow it; and the more water you have, the easier it is to keep on top of water quality (and temperature! Do get a thermometer, and not just a colour-stick-on-the-side one.)

I hope the little one gets better.

gizmo84

Reaction score
Thank you for that, its very helpful to understand how its happened. I do have a bigger tank for when he grows but thought he would be better in a smaller one to start. Plus the tank is in the kitchen which is being refitted next month so it will be easier to move while the work is being done. Once the kitchen is in I can set up the proper tank. I do have a digital thermometer for my tortoises so can use that :) I feel terrible that I have caused this, hoping he will be ok. Will keep you updated. Have just made a salt bath and have put it in the fridge, just waiting for it to be at the same temperature.
When leaving the water to sit does it need to be in a bucket or can I use bottles with lids off? x

pondweed

Reaction score
Oh, I don't think if it's possible to say for sure that's WHY it happened, but being stressed by environmental factors does make it easier for illness and things to get a hold in most creatures. That's why it's important to provide the best conditions you can.

I haven't got my 'Lotls yet, but I've been hanging around to learn about them. And yes, do please keep us updated!

Dipsy66

Reaction score
I feel terrible that I have caused this, hoping he will be ok. Will keep you updated. Have just made a salt bath and have put it in the fridge, just waiting for it to be at the same temperature.
When leaving the water to sit does it need to be in a bucket or can I use bottles with lids off? x

You didn't cause it hun, don't beat yourself up. It's just one of those things. You're doing the right thing now.

I only salt bathed for 15 minutes every night. Put the timer on the cooker and then carefully emptied the salt water and popped Amanda back into the fresh water. All of it kept in the fridge to avoid shocking her with different temps. I put my water in a bottle, added Tetra Aqua safe to it and left the lid off in the fridge door.

Have everything crossed for you that your axie makes a good recovery. :happy:

gizmo84

Reaction score
Thank you, I know its one of them things but still feel bad! Well I cleaned all the tank and have put the filter in there, hoping he will be able to use it again! He has just had a salt bath for 10mins, he did wiggle a bit at first but was fine after a couple of minutes! A few bits flaked off in there. His now in a clean tub of water in the fridge. I have got a bottle of salt water and a bottle of plain water in the fridge to keep everything the same temperature. Im guessing if he survives his going to lose some of his limbs :( I cant believe how quick it happened! In less than 24 hours!
Pondweed glad to hear you are doing ur research :) I thought I had done mine but not enough! Im going to be on here non stop now lol! Goodluck when you get yours, they are great x

pondweed

Reaction score
Circumstances are also preventing me from getting started with them, so I've had a looong time to research. You really mustn't beat yourself up though. We all start out somewhere. You clearly care and want to do the right thing, and want to do what you can to make him/her better.

While you're changing the little one's water daily, perhaps you could look into getting a small filter for the tank (Nikki and Petersgirl both highly recommend using a shower puff to blow the flow of the filter. I have a green one I'm going to use. It looks like a lettuce! I'd wash it first though of course). You could read up on how to cycle tanks as well. The daily dirty water from your axolotl's hospital tub can be used to add ammonia to give the bacteria something to munch on, and help the cycle along.

gizmo84

Reaction score
Aww they will def have a great home with you when you do get them!
I will put the water in the tank from the fridge. I have put a filter in the tank now. Hmm how does the shower puff work? Do you attach the string around the filter or just leave it floating? Bet that does look funny in the tank lol! I will have to go on the hunt for a green one, more natural than pink or purple!
This morning he seems a little less active, but his stopped floating and is now at the bottom, hoping thats a good sign! x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1