Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need Help With Eggs

chaimdov

Reaction score
Wierd thing. I have lots of newts, which I keep in tanks. They never breed. This week we had a heat wave so a moved all the newts to the basement. They all laid eggs. I have over a thousand eggs from three different species. I can't find a source of newly hatched brine shrimp, I went to the local pond and found medical waste (so that's out). Is there any other way to get food for the thousands of larve I am expecting? I figure I have at least a week until they hatch.

Anyone have luck with culturing other creatures?

Thanks.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to get newly-hatched BBS is to buy brine shrimp eggs and hatch them yourself. There are lots of instructions for doing this on the web.

The only other option that springs to mind is to buy a batch of live blackworms and serve them up chopped. Blackworm pieces are a little big for newly-hatched newts, but it has been done this way!

Regarding culturing anything... it's probably too late to even think about starting. Finding a source of live blackworms is probably your best bet.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest blackworms too. That's all I use. For newly hatched larvae, I mince them in a shotglass really tiny. As they grow, I cut them less and less small until I start adding nightcrawlers, cutting them the same way, smaller and then larger as the species grows. Good luck! You can get blackworms online, I recommend that (it's cheaper) considering the amount of larvae you have. Eastern Aquatics is a good supplier. You can keep them in the fridge, and change the water every day. When they first arrive you will have to do about 10 water changes immediately to clean them off, then daily is fine.

chaimdov

Reaction score
Update

I have forty larve (mainly ribbed) that morphed. Thank you for all your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!