White fungus on gill :(

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I one of my axies has a white fungus on his gill. This happened once before with my other guy, and I just added aquarium salt to the water and it was gone in about two days, though it took his gill with it. Should I treat the same way? Just clean the tank and add salt? I can't fridge him, my parents are weird about that so if I could avoid that I'd like to.

...Why has this happened twice now? How can I avoid this in the future?

Have a look at the how to salt bath sticky at the top of this thread. It isn't the best of ideas to leave them in salt baths as it affects their slime coat and can lead to all sorts of complications. Kaysie has covered this in the thread.

If you have somewhere cool to put the tub he's in then fridging can be avoided, its best to cover the tub with a cloth or something to keep it dark and him relaxed.

What are the parameters of your tank? Do you have a cleaning regime? Is there something he could have caught his gill on? What do you feed him? There are lots of reasons why, could be all of the above or none of them! The good thing is that you've caught it and are wanting to treat it :)

Hey,

I am not an expert, but found this website for an axolotl colony at Indiana University. they provide a lot of good info that may be able to help you with your sick axie, see link below:

Guide to Axolotl Husbandry

I hope he/she gets better soon :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back