Question: Help -- female not eating

gradym

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
A week ago, I acquired two adult axolotls - one WT male, and one Albino female. I was told the female is 'full of eggs'. They previously were in a lab environment.
I brought them home, they are in a 20G tank, with large pebbles (like the Mexican stone...) as substrate. Offering earthworms -- the male is accepting and eating just fine. Female not eating....looks healthy however, does not look stressed.
I have never had a female -- not sure if this is normal until she lays here eggs. I have plastic 'plants' and 'plastic turtle grass' hoping that she will use those. Can anyone offer any cautions, ideas or advice please?? I can and will send pictures if that will help!!!

Hi there I recently had the same issue with mine after a while they will eat it may only be a little at first but just be pursistant I didn't offer my axolotl any food after he rejected it for 2 days after some advice from the people of this lovely forum I didn't offer him any food for a further day and a half and all of a sudden NOM!!! Gone faster than you could say here fishy fishy lol

Bonkers thats so true!

Gradym, I wouldn't worry to much about it. A lot of Axolotls do this. It may be the change of environment and the movement from place to place and other attributed factors such as light change etc.

This is only short term and I'm sure she will start eating again.

That happened to my Female as well, but she can now eat 4cm worms within a few NOM's and Bonkers put it. :)

Good luck anyway!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back