Help D:>

Quentari

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Quentari
So I've bitten off more than I can chew here.

I have a 3ft tank and a 2ft tank set up for Axolotl's. (20gal and 10gal respectively)

I used to have 2 adults in the large one and 1 adult in the small. Then a friend killed one of her axies and gave the other one to me. So then I had 3 in the large and 1 in quarentine in the small. All adults. Not ideal. I've been testing the water once a week and doing a 30% water change every 2 days on the large tank.

A friend of mine broke up with her girlfriend, and now the girlfriend is moving to Darwin. My friend is now in a place that she can't keep their axolotl's. So I got messages from each of them and pretty soon I'll be babysitting an albino for a few months (maybe longer) and gaining a melanoid.

All adults.

Add this to the fact that today (before my friends contacted me) I got sad and so went to a pet shop to look at puppies and instead brought a juvie axie that's temporarily in my little 5gal until I get a divider.

I have no idea what I was thinking. I have a spare 10gal tank but on the 1st of August I'm moving and I'm not sure if I'll have space for it, I have no idea where I'm going to house 6 adult axolotl's and one juvinile. I can't leave the two adults in my friends tank because it's barely 7gal and less than half full of water (It's practically animal cruelty, no swim room at all)

I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up a 4ft tank fairly cheap, then have the 3ft and the 4ft going, but even then I think I'll end up with overstocked tanks. I have a really powerful filter in the 3ft with a rock stopping the output of water (not even a ripple from that filter) which is why I think I've been able to get away with 3 in the 3ft for so long but it's harder to keep cool than the 2ft and I think the filter is the culprit.

What do you guys recommend? I don't know what I can do about getting more tanks I'm going to have to do so many water changes like 50% every day or something crazy like that ugh at least I have some time... Friend isn't moving for another 2 months. Maximum 1 extra axie before she leaves.

Oh god I just remembered I have an albino on order from my pet shop.

I'm panicking.

To make matters worse I've just put my lecustic in the fridge and got some tea boiling because her slime coat is falling off really badly

I think you know the answer to this.
But this is what I would do. I would cancel the one on order and return the juvenile first of all. I personally would not take on any more animals until you have moved home and the sick one is back to full health.

I think you know the answer to this.
But this is what I would do. I would cancel the one on order and return the juvenile first of all. I personally would not take on any more animals until you have moved home and the sick one is back to full health.

That sounds like a good plan. Luckily it will be weeks before my new one gets here so it won't be too hard to sort that out. Also mentally relaxing because I've been told we're not taking on Ringo and Mudkip (friends axolotl's) unless we definitely have room.

I think I just panicked last night

Excellent news, I won't be worrying any more.

A 4ft tank will fit at my new place so I'm picking one up today and getting it started on a fishless cycle. The 4ft will have the three from the 3ft and my 3ft will house my extra plus the juvie when he's big enough (in the meantime he's going in a 10gal when he outgrows the 5 but is still too small for pebble). IF i have space for the extra 2ft somewhere I'll still get my white one if not no biggie. I've told my friends i probably can't take their fish unless I miraculously get enough space and they supply an appropriately sized tank.

My sick one is going to get daily tea baths untill she's less pink and her skin looks fresh and new again. (the two left in the 3ft are sulking in a corner and have been since she got taken out lol.

Okay. I feel better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back