Illness/Sickness: Does a "curled tail" look like this?

Dolores

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Within the last two days my axolotl has become lethargic. He will sit in his hide or behind a rock until I force him out to eat. He is still eating normally though which confuses me. Any time I give him a worm or a pellet he will gobble it up quickly. He is also pooping regularly which confuses me more. His gills are also always retaining their color and not returning to flesh color when he is inactive.

About two months ago he ate a toothpick sized piece of wood that came off of a piece of driftwood. I have been watching for signs of sickness since and this is the first I have found.

Attached are some photos of his tail. I am not sure if it it is curled at the tip or if this is normal. To me the tip is just folded over a bit and from what I understand that is "curled" but I just wish to clarify.

Attachments

• IMG950999.jpg
    IMG950999.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 5,499
  • IMG951181.jpg
    IMG951181.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 4,153
  • IMG956760.jpg
    IMG956760.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2,262
That teensy-tiny little folded bit?

I think that's what the tail curling is supposed to look like. I once saw a very sick axie and that's how his tail was (more curled though)

Axolotls - Health & Diseases
It looks like it's usually just the tip of the tail that curls and even then, it's usually just a sign of stress. Maybe you should check your parameters.

Axolotls - Health & Diseases
It looks like it's usually just the tip of the tail that curls and even then, it's usually just a sign of stress. Maybe you should check your parameters.

I've checked the parameters and they all seem to be fine. The temperature hovers around 70 F so I am thinking that may be it. I am going to relocate him to a different room that stays much colder.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back