Help with feeding my salamander larvae!!!

lindaleeben

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I always thought I had tons of food in my salamander larvaes tank And I did. But I had to much water therefor spreading out there food (copopods, daphnia and whatnot) so they couldn't eat it. I had a huge die off because of that reason and starvation and I had no idea why until now. So the remaining larvae I put in a small container with little water volume and loads of food. But there so weak I can't get them to eat! Most of them lay on there side and more die every night. After about an hour last night of dangling tubifex worms in there face I got 1 to eat. He's the only one doing well right now. Any help with the other ones. And has anyone had a huge due off befor?

Unfortunately, huge die-offs are not unusual with larvae. I've been doing this for many years, and I had two tanks with die-offs this year. Ouch.

I don't think starvation is the reason, or not the entire reason. What was the size of the tank, and the number of larvae? Was the tubifex live or non-live food? I think if you keep them in the small container with live food, they'll probably be eating. It's hard to tell with the little ones whether they are eating or not, as they don't need much at the beginning.

If a larva lies on its side, it's usually because it is newly-hatched and it isn't ready to start feeding yet. Is that the case?

maybe try feeding them small cut up worms. try with a tweezer or small tongs.just wiggle in ront of them and they should go for it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back