Reaction score
Country
Canada
Axo no1

axo no2

axo no3

they are about 8 inches. 5-6 month old.

thanks for your help.

To my inexperienced eye....I'd say axie 1) is possibly female, axie 2) is possibly male and axie 3) possible female....am going on my own two.....the leucistic is definitely male and the wild type possibly female....

Have attached pics of my two so you can see the distinctive bulge on the male....

Hope this helps although some of my more experiences peeps on here may disagree.

Attachments

• 7 (4).jpg
    7 (4).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 13 (3).jpg
    13 (3).jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 6 (12).jpg
    6 (12).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 330
thanks. i think you might be right about my leucy. i tought i had 3 female. but his cloaque doesnt look like the 2 others. he doesnt have black finger tip yet.

maybe i ll get lucky and he is a male:) thank you

the 2 green one look alike . i guess they are 2 females:)

How old are they? Mine are about 11 months old...I have their sister in a tank at work...she is defo female and leucistic..so different to her brother and that's what I'm going by. :happy:

Might be a bit young to sex...give it a couple more months. I'm still not sure about my wild type but her head and body are broader than her tank mates and from all the reading I've done that, and the lack of bulge on the clocea, seems to indicate female.

i was going with the size.i was sure that at 8 inches it was possible to know.

lol i was lol i hope i ll be able to keep their name. lol i hope it will fit their gender. lol

They all look like females to me... :S

i know know if it mean something. but no2 and 3 have a long tail. and no1 have a short tail

I agree with Hannah... They all look like females to me. But I'm not very experienced in telling gender.

Well just so you know I've had an axie for a couple of months now, she's 22cm long. Alwasy 100% she was female. Last week her cloaca bulged a bit so now I'm not so sure.

I have seen 3 juvies in the last two days, all less than 15cm, all three with massive bulging "imma MAN" cloacas.

Length has nothing to do with anything.

I'd wait but I think your lecustic might be male, the other two it's too hard to tell.

In my experience size does not matter its all about the age and condition axolotl is kept in , just a FYI black finger tips do not mean fully mature or sex able. i kept 5 axolotls from a batch a had a year and a half ago same situation at around 6-8 months they were between 8-10 inches and appeared all female because non of the colas have dropped...BUT suddenly within a weeks time around 14-15 month mark 3 axolotls colas got big just like my mature male breeder axolotls and the other 2 no change cola wise but did seem to get fat which i assume is them being graved, so you still have a chance of the axolotls turning out both sex only time will tell.

At 8 inches, they should almost defiantly be sexable. They all look female to me, a male would have an obvious lump.

Evan

I've had one at 9 inches decide to become male, so 8 inches isn't a sure thing

maybe it was male all along and you didn't realize it.

Well yeah that's the point. But he/she was full grown, no bulge at all (less than the axies in the OP's pictures) and very fat and round as if full of eggs.

Put her in the fridge for a fungus treatment and BAM her cloaca started swelling. She's a bit small, but I wouldn't say she's definitely a girl anymore.

They are male or female all along from when they were in the eggs just we cant tell with just using the human eye what gender they are until they are fully sexually mature but you can get a DNA test to see if they are male or female right from the start. A axolotl can grow full length with in 7 months if conditions are right but can be sexually mature several years later

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back