Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Color Confusion

Question 1

• Mostly Luecistic

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Mostly Wild Type

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Mostly Meliniod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly Albinos or I don't know...

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

tfmreefs

Reaction score
Sooooooo...... i have been thinking alot about axolotol's colors. I want to get into breeding them, but this is where i am trying to see what the color out comes and possibilities are..
*Now here are some scenario questions (just put what answer you think..)*

#1- The dads is luecistic and the mom is wild type. What would the babies be?
#2- what would the parents have to be for the majority of the babies to come out as luecistic?
#3- Whats the possibilities of the babies if the parents are both melaniod?
#4- Can any type of axolotl have an alibino for it?
#5- Why do some alibino's come out golden?....

I know I probably didnt word these right, but i want to get a good idea about the color ratio and chances of them and the offspring.... Thanks!!!:)

Quentari

Reaction score
1. With any wildtype parent you have a high chance of a LOT of wildtypes. Most axies seem to carry the wildtype gene.
2. Lecustic + Lecustic would be a good start, unless you know the parents of all your axies (and pref grandparents too) it's hard to tell what axies are carrying which genes
3. Melanoid + Melanoid would probably have lots of melanoid, possibly lots of wildtypes as well.
4. The best chance of having albino babies is for one or more of the parents to be albino.
5. Gold albino's are a slightly different gene, but it's got something to do with iridiphores or xenophores or some kind of phores lol.

Basically if you want a certain colour your best chance of getting it is breeding two of that colour together. Wild Type is pretty dominant so if both parents carry it you'll end up with lots of wild type babies. Albino's are recessive, which means it's very unlikely for two axies to have albino babies unless one or more of the parents are albino. Albino's carry other axolotl colour genes too. Gold doesn't spontaneously occur from a white albino, they are their own colour morph.

That's all I know, and if I got anything wrong please correct me. I got all this info from research, not from actual breeding.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I plan on breeding a wild type and melanoid when they are old enouvh. The batch the melanoid camefrom had 40%melanoid 40leucisitc amd 20% melanoid albino.

My wild type came from a batch of every color morph i swear! Leucistic,wild,melanoid,golden and pure albinos.

Really though i wouldnt care because i want my wild thpes genes because she is gorgeous!
What do you think?

Quentari

Reaction score
If your wild is very unique then that sounds like a reasonable idea, however a lot of breeders try not to get too many wildtypes because they are SO common and (from what I've seen) sell for less.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
#1- The dads is luecistic and the mom is wild type. What would the babies be?

Absolutely anything, depending on what genes the parents carry.

#2- what would the parents have to be for the majority of the babies to come out as luecistic?
#3- Whats the possibilities of the babies if the parents are both melaniod?

Any pair that are both recessive for a trait will have 100% of offspring displaying that trait. Other recessive traits may also be passed on, such as albino.

#4- Can any type of axolotl have an alibino for it?
#5- Why do some alibino's come out golden?....

If I understand you, yes. You can have melanoid albino (lacking iridophores), axanthic albinos (lacking xanthophores), leucistic albino (leucistic pattern/color cell distribution, without melanophores) and golden albinos ('wildtype' pattern/distribution, lacking melanophores).

Boomsloth

Reaction score
From what I read and understand from Axolotls - Genetics and Colour
All axolotl genes affecting pigmentation or pigmentation migration that are not wildtype are recessive except the one they labelled as 'dark'

Please let us know what the babies turn out to be so we can get a better understanding of what the parents' genes are :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1