Feeding jar help

Howie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I decided to try a feeding jar last night, a few worms and a cube of bloodworm.

However I have 2 axis and 1 went in and had a great feed, the other watched from outside! they are both the same size and colour so it's hard to tell them apart.

How can I ensure they both get fed and fairly?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks a lotl ;)

I woul hand feed the worms and perhaps have a feeding plate or two jars to ensure they both get an even chance of the bloodworm. :)

thanks, thought about 2 jars, make sense really!

I normally just drop worms in and they gobble them up, not tried hand feeding yet, only had them about 6 weeks, bought them off gumtree! some one kept 2 in a 12" tank with normal goldfish gravel, only fed them blood worm and pellets, thought it was a bit cruel as they are about 6 inches long!

I have three in the same tank and personally to help with fairness i use a large glass dish so they can all climb on it and get some food at the same time :)

thanks, thought about 2 jars, make sense really!

I normally just drop worms in and they gobble them up, not tried hand feeding yet, only had them about 6 weeks, bought them off gumtree! some one kept 2 in a 12" tank with normal goldfish gravel, only fed them blood worm and pellets, thought it was a bit cruel as they are about 6 inches long!

Aw, poor things. Sounds like they have axie heaven now :) What tank are they in now? Probably just as well you got two to start off with, one is never enough! Nor is eight seemingly, lol!

If they are happy munching the worms, you can just use bloodworm as a treat once in a while. Lucky you to have axies that eat food that's been dropped in front of them, mine stand on them, staring up at me with 'where's the worm' face! I know they aren't the most intelligent of animals, but really! :confused:

thanks Layna, I might give that a go, all good fun trying new things.

To be honest Pookiewn it's only 2ft at the moment but it a massive difference, length, width and height, they seem to like it, exploring, sometimes swimming around.

I do want more though, the wife won't like it! ha ha.

I must have touched lucky then!

thanks

Sounds like you really care for them though, so they ultimately have a better life than before :)

Hee here, my other half hates them! He thinks they are weird alien things, lol!
I started with a two foot too, then went to a three foot and then a four, and them saw the bargain of a life time. This being my monster 6x2x2, and it was only £25! I got my axies from a mate who's axies had done the deed so to speak, was only going to get one, then it turned into two, then three and the night I took them home I had four. Then another turned up, then I rescued three more :) Not including the ten lil ones that I'm raising at the mo, they really need to be sold on to other people though.

Incidentally the mate I got mine from, her other half didn't like them either at first. Now he is a besotted as she is and ends up doing the water changes and builds stuff for the four tanks they have.

It can end up with happy endings :)

wow, that's some tank and for that price too!

I'd hope for that one day, maybe get a couple more in there.

I like them a lot, so do the kids, they make us laugh some of the things they do.

Hope this link works- axies eating in jar in background!!! :) so excited- getting a 75 gallon tomorrow!!! Woot!

:http://instagram.com/p/bcvUxvAlsv/

Cheers, will have to watch when I get home, won't work in work!

sounds fab, can't wait to get a bigger tank, if the wife will let me!

do you have any pics of it?

Here it is!!! Still a little cloudy:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373331077.017547.jpg

New feeding "vase"
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373331098.850884.jpg

And Toothless, who was posing....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373331123.750848.jpg

wow, that's fantastic, your axis are great too, I only have the dark greeny ones, would love more colours.

I have big pebbles at the moment, might switch to sand though.

do they all go into the vase or turns each? I used a feeding bowl last night, not sure who had what to eat though!

Thanks! I hand feed them earth worms or red wigglers (I compost them) first so I know everyone gets some then I put bloodworms in an let the piggies finish them off.

I've been successful with a feeding jar too and it keeps the tank much cleaner all round. My two seem to take it in turns to feed, with the female (greedy young lady that she is) going first.....no problems so far.

Attachments

• 2013-07-10 16.42.14.jpg
    2013-07-10 16.42.14.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 465
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back