Axolotl jumped out of tank - hurt bad please advise urgently.

GwenjaminButto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My juvenile jumped out his tray and his tail and legs look bloody and bruised like the blood vessels took a bash (i found him on the floor). His side where his liver is looks like it could be swollen, i fridged him but then his frills went forward and curled under so i think take him out ?? What can i do? Is it normal for his frills to curl up when he's in the cold? His legs are curled up under him too :(

i took him out and he's sorta dragging himself along the bottom of his tray like a slug

Try and post pictures ASAP. A picture of the whole, and of the part that should be the liver that looks swollen.

Try and post pictures ASAP. A picture of the whole, and of the part that should be the liver that looks swollen.

Pictures attached, it's really hard to get a clear shot though.

Attachments

• IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,361
  • IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 883
  • IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 811
Can someone please advise me, need to know if this little guy needs fridging or not. :(

I would advise fridging, just to be sure. The gills that curl are a sign of stress; of course the little guy (or girl) is completely freaked right now.

So fridge him, but don't forget to feed him, he's still a juvenile and growing. Be on the lookout for any change, good or bad. Make sure to update on this.

If there's any open wounds, be on the lookout for fungus.

And axolotls taking a trip to the fridge for the first time... yes, it's stressful for them. Make sure you wrap his container with a towel to prevent the fridge light that turns on every time you open the door from stressing him out even more.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take a look at this.

I would advise fridging, just to be sure. The gills that curl are a sign of stress; of course the little guy (or girl) is completely freaked right now.

So fridge him, but don't forget to feed him, he's still a juvenile and growing. Be on the lookout for any change, good or bad. Make sure to update on this.

If there's any open wounds, be on the lookout for fungus.

And axolotls taking a trip to the fridge for the first time... yes, it's stressful for them. Make sure you wrap his container with a towel to prevent the fridge light that turns on every time you open the door from stressing him out even more.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take a look at this.

Thanks for much for your reply. How much would you feed him a day please?

Also if he makes it, I'm not sure on the removing from the fridge bit as he isn't in a cycled tank anyway, he's small so he's in a large plastic tray :)

As much as you usually feed him. Try to feed him every day, he'll need the energy to heal. Don't be distressed if he eats less than usual though; fridging will slow his metabolism. Feed him about 15 minutes before a water change, so you can give fresh water right after the feeding.

Also if he makes it, I'm not sure on the removing from the fridge bit as he isn't in a cycled tank anyway, he's small so he's in a large plastic tray :)

Instead of tank water; just take some dechlorinated water, the water you use to put your juveniles in in the first place.

Oh, and perhaps to prevent this from happening again, perhaps cover the plastic tray with a net or something... something of which the holes are too small for them to fit through.

In the summer months i do know its hard to keep a lid of so e sort on. I dont use net but i use a deep rubermaid container and only fill the water half way, so that if they jump they wont jump out. It scares me becauss i hear them jumping a lot now. My adults that are in a tank are to lazy now to jump :p but i know if i keep the lid on it gets WAY to hot. I actually am considering fridging due to the hot weather soon here. If the water gets any hotter i will need.

I would also try giving him a black tea bath. He probably sustained aome damage to his skin and this can help soothe it and keep fungus away. Maybe add some cooled down steeped tea(maybe keep it in the fridge) and add it to the water for 15minutes everyday. Maybe add it before/after feeding before a water change.

I know when my lotls get hurt i just add 2cups of
Black tea in my 25gallon tank and just remove it slowly by doing small water changes. Seems to help really good(my leucistic got sucked up in my siphon the other day and within a few hours she was looking better)

Yes, he/ she should be fridged, but as far as feeding, don't be surprised if it throws it up. When they are that cold, it's very hard for them to digest food, so a lot of times they will throw it up, so it doesn't go bad in their stomach. But since their metabolism is slowed way down, it's okay since they use far less energy.

Good luck!

As much as you usually feed him. Try to feed him every day, he'll need the energy to heal. Don't be distressed if he eats less than usual though; fridging will slow his metabolism. Feed him about 15 minutes before a water change, so you can give fresh water right after the feeding.

I put him back in the fridge, his side is definitely swollen, as the water warmed it seemed to get worse. He's refusing food :( Just no interest at all and he's usually a greedy chops! I've taken the food back out and popped him back wrapped up. I think fridge is definitely best, if nothing else it will numb the pain he's in. I'm not sure he's going to make it :'(

In the summer months i do know its hard to keep a lid of so e sort on. I dont use net but i use a deep rubermaid container and only fill the water half way, so that if they jump they wont jump out. It scares me becauss i hear them jumping a lot now. My adults that are in a tank are to lazy now to jump :p but i know if i keep the lid on it gets WAY to hot. I actually am considering fridging due to the hot weather soon here. If the water gets any hotter i will need.

I would also try giving him a black tea bath. He probably sustained aome damage to his skin and this can help soothe it and keep fungus away. Maybe add some cooled down steeped tea(maybe keep it in the fridge) and add it to the water for 15minutes everyday. Maybe add it before/after feeding before a water change.

Black tea in my 25gallon tank and just remove it slowly by doing small water changes. Seems to help really good(my leucistic got sucked up in my siphon the other day and within a few hours she was looking better)

That's brilliant advice, thank you :) I'll go make him a cup now and chill it <3

Will any tea do? x

Thank you for your messages guys <3

If anyone has any other advice please feel free to post it! I'm willing to try ANYTHING right now, love this little guy!

The healing ability of axies is astounding, so don't give up hope! Just leave him in the fridge for a few days and let his body do its thing. Putting him in, then taking him out of the fridge to warm back up will only stress him more. Just remember to do an at least 50% water change every day, as they get rid of all of their waste quite readily. He can be taken out for the short time it takes to do that. And then of course, add treated water that's the same temp, so keep a gallon of pretreated water in the fridge as well.

Both of mine are in the fridge due to the heat and I had to do 2 of the 50% water changes a day to keep up with the waste they were putting out the first 3 days. :eek:

Good luck and keep us posted!

I have 5 lotls currently in the fridge due to heat! I just put them in and boy do i feel bad. The tank looks so empty. But this heat wave is making it impossible to keep the wTer cool! I dont think its ever been this hot before here! Blah! I am looking for an air conditioner so bad so i can take them out plus so i can feel a bit more comfortable! I doubt ill sleep tonight.

And no any tea wont do. It needs to be plain black tea.

I totally sympathize with you, Alkylahide. I run warm anyway, and then sleep on a memory foam mattress, so the last week or so hasn't been great for sleeping. :(

When I get paid on the 10th, I'm buying a portable, sits on the floor AC unit. Going to run about $250, but SO worth it! That way the axies can be back in their tank, cool and happy, and I can SLEEP cool and happy. LOL :D

The healing ability of axies is astounding, so don't give up hope! Just leave him in the fridge for a few days and let his body do its thing. Putting him in, then taking him out of the fridge to warm back up will only stress him more. Just remember to do an at least 50% water change every day, as they get rid of all of their waste quite readily. He can be taken out for the short time it takes to do that. And then of course, add treated water that's the same temp, so keep a gallon of pretreated water in the fridge as well.

Both of mine are in the fridge due to the heat and I had to do 2 of the 50% water changes a day to keep up with the waste they were putting out the first 3 days. :eek:

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you :3 Yeah he's staying there now, he needs rest!!

I'm going to go check on him shortly, just heading home! Fingers crossed he's okay!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back