Identification Please

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this so move it around if need be. Anyways my family and my friends family are camping at Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas right next to the Little Red River. We went hiking by a creek that's fed from the bottom of the lake so the water is really cold. The sign said 52 degrees. I was just kinda flipping over rocks just to see what I could find and I saw this little guy. He's about an inch to an inch and a half long. I can tell he's pretty young which could make identification hard. I went to www.herpsofarkansas.com and I think it might be an Oklahoma salamander but I'm not quite sure. Anyone else have any ideas? Here's some pics.
7eqe9emu.jpg
a4e7ytag.jpg

Yes, there's no way you're going to find a native European salamander larva in Arkansas! Which is a reminder, that geography is the #1 means to identifying salamanders.

Yes, there's no way you're going to find a native European salamander larva in Arkansas! Which is a reminder, that geography is the #1 means to identifying salamanders.
Haha I hope not! And after doing some more research on them I'm just about certain it's an Oklahoma salamander

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back