Is this fungus or something going on with slime coat?

jelly

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
From above she looks to have white ish patches. Looking through the glass from the side though you can not really see them at all?

Attachments

• wildtaxy2.jpg
    wildtaxy2.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 1,057
Does not look like fungus but to figure out what is causin this we will need a bit more information.

What is the temperature of the water?
What are the water parameters? Ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph
Do you use a dechlorinator?
Do you age your water?
Any tankmates?

Also i would very strongly advise changing your substrate as it is very dangerous for lotls! They will eat it and it can get stuck in their gut!

Because of it being summer time im going to make a guess and say it may be caused by the heat, but ive seen water quality do this as well.

That could be the normal color for your axolotl.

amm- 0 nitrite-0 and nitrate 5-10ppm. But I did just do a big vacuum today and replaced 30 percent of the water.
It is winter hear, but they are in the same room as the fire (I have been watching temp and was ready to move them if it got too high) normal water temp 18-20 deg C (19.2 "C rite now) very hot nite it still was only going up to 21.5, so still in the safe range I thought?
We just went away for 4 days last week so their water went down to 10-12 and she looked worse when we go back.
I have also been adding aquarium "tonic salts" to their water. as it was low pH and kH.
I did liquid test on out tap water tonight and ph about 6.4. their tank was 7.2.
I use water straight from the tap as our water is untreated , comes from creek behind our house, very close to the beginning of the creek on the hill.

I was using bare tank, but have since decided to use large sand/small gravel, small enough to pass through I thought. There are some bigger bits in photo I had not sorted through yet.
When I owned axys some years ago I kept them on normal gravel as I brought them second hand and they came with that, one use to eat gravel all the time and poop it out, wish I had known about it being no-no! his life could have been a bit more comfortable!

The whitish parts are just a bit thicker slime coat. I would be willing to bet the temperature swings are stressful.

Okay so i found a few minor problems but nothing to run around panicking about!

First the salt. Neverr add salt to your axolotls tank! Aquarium salt is not the best for them and it will fluctuate the ph to much because you will have to add more adter each water change etc.

I had a ph issue in my tank. The tap water ph was 6 or under(test doesnt go any lower) and trust me i thought about salt but after doing research i realised the best way to get a higher ph is to use crushed coral. All i did was add it to a media bag and put it in my filter. Though you need to test your ph at least once a day and add a little at a time until it reachs ideal. I have a 25gallon tank and there is only a small handful to bring my ph up to 7.4

Temps are fine, your parameters are good i think the salt may be the culprit. Salt to an axolotl is like salt to a snail. It BURNS!
The reason why you do VERY weak salt baths when you see fungus is to just get rid of it. And you dont want to use aquarium salt. Always use non iodized salt that you get at the grocerie store. Though i definately think he needs to be put in fresh water with no salt. I dont thibk its fungus but its definately not a nice looking slime coat. To me it looked like heat stress but it could be the start of him peeling because of the salt. Im not expert but thats my opinion. Tank him out of the tank and put him in a tuperware container of fresh water and do 100% changes daily. Leave the tub in the coolest spot in your house and just keep an eye on him.

I dont know if i would suggest black tea baths until i know for sure whats wrong with the slime coat. but maybe somebldy else can give some insight. I lnow black tea has probably prevented quite a bit of hail pulling stress.. When a lotl goes crazy and cuts herself up so bad!

The reason I added salt is because I thought they were too low in salt. Her tank mate was having temporary anaemia and it has since stopped, I do not know if the wild type was experiencing this because of her colour it is harder to tell!
I also couldn't say the 'he' (the leucistic) is having the same slime coat problem because of his colour.

(he has a worm in his mouth hence the bulge)

Attachments

• leuanaemia.jpg
    leuanaemia.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 594
  • leueatingworm.jpg
    leueatingworm.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 3,181
Ooooh Your leucistic is STUNNING!!! Looks like my pretty boy except less freckles :lol: Where did you get him/her from? :D

Some one in Dunedin (brought of Trademe) I brought these two as sympathy cases, the wild type is very slow to regrow legs, and this one was a little bullied I think, but have since grown sooo much!, they were about 7-8 cm when I brought them not even 3 months ago, now 14-15 cm, and not to mention triple the width :)
I also brought another leucistic and some goldens.

That is funny! You have my twos siblings :) (I think!)

Ajax and Pepper both came from Sarah in Dunedin. I remember the sympathy case, and was going to get them but by the time Sarah read her email (I was conversing via email instead of purchasing off trademe direct) someone else had hit buy now. Guess you were the lucky one :p

It's so cool to see my babies siblings and how they look! :D

I would take some of the advice you are getting with a grain of salt. I add aquarium salt or marine fish salt to my axolotl tanks. It is good for them. I use about a tablespoon for 10 gallons.

Yes it has left me wondering now- axolotls like water on the hard side, so if my water is soft, how do you make it hard without adding salts?

I just read on a few different guides that it was needed... eg (from Guide to Axolotl Husbandry)

Water is the most important component of the axolotls' environment. Never house them in extremely soft or distilled water. They need hard water to help them maintain the integrity of their skin, their most important defense against infection. Remove any chlorine, chloramines, or ammonia that may have been added as part of municipal water treatment. Commercial preparations (e.g., Amquel ) are available for this purpose. We pass our water through an exchange resin to remove heavy metals and past a sterilizing UV light as well. We also add salts to the water to make a modified Holtfreter’s solution. The recipe we use to make 40% Holtfreter's in a 44 gallon barrel is:
KCl: 1 teaspoon
CaCl2: 2.5 teaspoons
MgSO4.7H2O: 2 tablespoons
NaCl: 240 ml (dry but measured in a liquid beaker)
The salts restore hardness after water treatment and help us maintain the animals' health by discouraging parasites and fungus. Extra salts are not essential, however, if you are attentive to good husbandry practices and the water is hard and free of chemicals and heavy metals. Keep the pH between about 6.5 and 8. If pH is at the high end of this range, monitor ammonia carefully because its toxicity will be greater than at neutral pH.

If you're going to alter hardness with salts, be sure you've got a liquid reagent kit for gH and kH. I keep my hardness around 160ppm.

Keep in mind that 'salt' has two different meanings here: aquarium and holtfreter salts used to alter hardness are usually magnesium and calcium salts, while salt used for salt baths is regular ol NaCl, table salt.

Also keep in mind that hardness and pH are only loosely related. Hard water generally has a higher pH because the dissolved salts buffer against acidity. But adding salt to your water probably won't raise your pH significantly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back