New and straight into it! :)

Mo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys new on this site and loving all the useful info!

BUT I have a question!! I have an axolotl and I bought her 4 days ago and what I've heard is that they're not supposed to be soo active but all she does is swim around the tank non stop!! I looked it up and it sez that the tank may have high ammonia so I bought testing strips and nothing!! No ammonia at all!! The only time she has a rest is after I feed her for about half an hour then she's back to it! SOMEONE HEEELP!! I'm quiet concerned! Cheers guys!

Hello,
Welcome to the wonderful crazy world of axolotls :)

A few questions to try and help you with your axie:
What age is your axie?
Have you a filter on your tank and what is the temperature in the tank please?
Have you cycled the tank?
Is the tank bright and are there any hides?

The liquid test kits are far more accurate than the test strips, so it would be advisable to get a kit as soon as possible.

I agree with above. Api master test kit is the best and most accurate, and you want to test more then just ammonia. Ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph should be tested once weekly after a tank is cycled and every few days during the cycle. Its a bit pricey for the kit but ive had mine for almost 5months and cycled two tanks(one took 8weeka and the other 5) so you can imagine how many times ive tested the water and i still have a ton left! So its def worth it!

What is the temperature in the tank? I find the warmer it is the more active they are. Age has a huge factor as asked above. I have 3 4month old juveniles and some nights they worry me because they just do laps for hours on end.. But then i have two 7month old axies that are so lazy and active for them is like swimming from one side of the tank to the other lmao!

Hey guys, I'm not sure of the age but she's about 15cm long, I do have a filter and the movement in the water isn't high at all, I don't have a thermometer just yet but it's winter here so the water should be below 19 degrees Celsius, I thought it may be the lights too so I only turn it on when I feed her and she does laps around the tank all night when it's dark still, what do u mean by cycle the tank? Is that when I replace 1/4 if the tanks water? And yes I have hiding spots.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back