Fattening up.

MrsNubcake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Colleen
How would you fatten up an axy thats still on blood worms?

With live black worms if they are small or earth worms if they can take them. From reading your other post, if it is 3 months I'd go for the black worms. Axies love those, not sure if yours have had them yet. There is one little cheeky lotl that I've met who won't eat anything else :)

As they are still so little I would be feeding them little and often, probably three meals a day of you can. It is rather difficult and expensive to get black worms over here.

Do you have ice blocks that go in a cool bag? Could you put the tubs in a box on top of the ice blocks? It should keep the water cool, without cooling it so much they loose their appetite. If you can do that then put some live daphnia in the tubs with them so they can eat as they wish without spoiling the water.

Keep them in temps less than 75 F. Feed them salmon pellets and earthworms all day every day. They'll get fat, in a good way.

Thank you for all the help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back