Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm a desperate person. Please help!

Newtontrick916

Reaction score
Ok, for the past year I have owned a Chinese Fire-belly newt named Newton, yet she is a girl :eek:. Well I have a nice tank for her with a bridge to hind under, leaves to climb on, and a filter that hardly makes ripples in the water. Now my problem....SHE WILL NOT EAT. In the year I have had her, I have seen her eat one live earthworm, and two tweezers of frozen (thawed out) bloodworms. She is very small (to me) and she hardly ever moves. I never pick her up as I heard it stresses them out, and I keep the (spring) water temperature in the mid to lower 60's when I can. And she hardly every gets in the water. She just sits under her bridge all day and night. Anytime she does get out and wonder, I try to feed her and she just backs up when I hold something in front of her nose. Please help me as I feel I am somehow to blame for her not eating or being comfortable. :(:(

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard of newts living a long time without eating, but this is rather incredible.

You have seen her eat on occasion, so you just have to keep trying with those things that have worked. Keep digging up small earthworms (that's your best bet). Keep trying with the frozen bloodworms. You could also get some pinhead crickets, but that might just further delay her acceptance of hand-feeding.

You could also try putting small pieces of still-wiggling earthworms near her, then go away and see if she eats when you aren't hovering over her. There is hardly any caudate in the world that could resist eating a wiggling piece of worm when no one is looking!

Erinony

Reaction score
Hi there
I just went through a problem with my T. Granulosa not eating for over a month. He was starting to deteriorate and I tried everything. Finally, I left some waxworms crawling on some floating items in his tank, and on top of his cave that sticks out of the water, and he went and ate them by himself. These waxworms saved his life. I suggest that you keep trying, and try different food. My newt lived on pellets for 16 years then one day just decided he would not eat them anymore. Don't give up, I almost did but then finally he ate. It could all turn out well. Also, if you ever leave food in his tank he could possibly get a little bit and you don't notice. I don't see it being very possible to live for a year with so little food. Good luck.

Newtontrick916

Reaction score
Guys thank you so much for the replies. I am really worried because she is just too cute to die. Alexps: funny thing about that, I tried to buy another one from a online sight. However they ended up sending me an Eastern Spotted. However, she died within a month. :(:( If you can think of a place to buy more, or a different source of food, please keep posting.

Newtontrick916

Reaction score
Just checking in. Newton has eating live earthworms for almost a week straight. If anyone can give me any ideas of spicing up her diet it would be fine. However, I will change NOTHING until she is showing lack of interest. Thank you all again!

AeonMapa

Reaction score
You might try putting a few live tubifex worms in the tank.. I had a newt that wouldn't eat for sometime, or so I thought. Although he woudnt accept food offered to him, I caught him hunting for some of the leftover worms in the tank. Try leaving a tiny amount (too many will foul the water quickly!) In a small bottle cap "dish" so they dont get away. Leave them in the tank and check on them the next day, hopefully they'll be gone :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1