Question: Axolotl squabbles?

TheRoyalOctopus

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
Davy
Hello.

I have two axies, both are roughly the same age (about 7-8months old - I have attached a picture). They have been in the same tank for some time now, well since birth. I have never had a problem with them fighting, biting each other or anything like that.

However, tonight I noticed Tui chasing La around the tank and then she just sat on him? Like literally just lay on him. I was slightly concerned they were having a fight, so I intervened and moved Tui along. However, she swan back over to La and again, lay on him.

I left them for about 30minutes then I found them together, side by side in their pot house, both their heads poking out looking cosy next to each other.

So my question really, is whether they are now beginning to fight? Because they're usually very close (never apart for long) and always swimming next to each other. They actually remind me of the eels in The Little Mermaid.. you know, constantly swimming beside each other.

Tui is the leucistic and La is the wild type :)

Any help or advice would be nice :)

Attachments

• my axolotl.jpg
    my axolotl.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 207
I don't think they are falling out. I had two that behaved like this and the only problem I had was too many eggs. Your wild type is gorgeous :D

Yeah, maybe their not fighting ;) <3 :love: :blush: good luck!

This does sound like it could be an indication of mating... But if that is true then I would strongly recommend you put in a tank divider (don't put in separate tanks). They shouldn't be bred any earlier than 18 months (at the very earliest) so that they have time to to fully develop and grow. I would put a divider in instead of separate tanks as since they are so close it will be less stressful for them. This same method can be used if they are infact starting to fight :)

I don't think this is mating behaviour...well not yet.
I had two that would behave in a similar way. My male would shield the female if I was doing anything near the tank. They where nearly always side by side and I never saw any indication of aggression.

Thanks everyone :) They seem to be getting on a lot better now! No more little squabbles anyway. Thanks for all your responses :) Much appreciated!

My lady sat on top of my young man's head after being separated from him for a week due to an injury. If he moved out from under her she followed him and perched on him again. No aggression, no fighting or biting just pure cosying up...:wink:

Aww aha. That's good to know. I'd rather close smoochy Axolotls to the type that's chewing off each others gills ;)

Thanks for the responses! <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back