Hi From Massachusetts!

Wolfie305

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

My name is Kelsey. I'm a 24 year old web developer with an obsession with video games, crafting, coding, and aquatics!

I've been a betta fish enthusiast most of my life, but I'm currently in the process of starting up my 55 gallon Mario themed aquarium and I'm dying for an axie. Being such a large tank, I was hoping to have more than just axies in there, but I've heard they don't get along with other species very well? Any information about this would be wonderful, as I want the tank to be interesting and happily well-stocked.

Thanks!
c:

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Axolotl's should always be kept by themselves. The thing with axolotl is if it's smaller than their head chances are they will try to eat it. And if it's bigger chances are they will annoy/damage your axolotl because your axolotls gills are just so fluffy and beautiful and irresistible to have a munch on.

Some people keep other animals in with their axolotl and don't have any issues although most people on this forum will strongly advise them to separate then out. It's like they are just asking for trouble and me personally, would rather not take the risk.

If you do want to keep something else in the tank you can try feeder fish. A lot seem to use guppies although guppy fans call it cruel. Another thing people have is shrimp such as cherry shrimp (also intended for food). If you do decide to try these make sure you quarantine for a month to ensure no diseases are introduced :)

And again, welcome to the forum!

Well, you can do cherry shrimp, but be prepared for a few getting eaten... I have some ghost shrimp, cool to watch alongside my axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back