Plants?

emmyk

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking into getting some plants in the tank for my axolotl, for all I have now is a little bamboo shoot. Haha, I hate those fake plastic ones, can someone suggest some fairly inexpensive plants that your axie loves to hide in? And where to get them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hello :)

I have just invested in some plants. I got Twisted Vallisneria because it's a very hardy plant that can adjust in a wide range of water conditions. It also doesn't need lighting and can stand a bit of rough play. It doesn't need a thick substrate - mine plants are thriving in a fine silica sand substrate of about 1-2cm depth It looks very tidy and I like the twisted look rather than straight Vallisneria :)

My leucistic axy, Ajax, got a bit excited for his worm two nights ago and latched onto the plant. He gave it a fair tug and run for it's money and eventually spat it out - and the plant is perfectly fine :) If you have a look at my pics on my profile you can see a glimpse of the plants in my tank but if you want better photo's I can take some tonight for you.

I know you can pick it up online or I just went to an aquarium shop - most that sell live plants have it from my experience :)

Oh, and I wouldn't say it's excessively expensive - here they sell for about $4-7 NZD per plant. Mine were $6.10 NZD. They are also easy plants to maintain - if you don't want more simply cut off the runners. Depending the strain you get they can grow between 20-40cm +. But you simple prune them to the size you want :)

Awesome, thanks so much:)

I've tried a few types of plants in my tank, but I'm really liking Wisteria and Anacharis. Both seem to grow VERY quickly and they can be planeted or floated on the top. The wisteria does need some light though.

I've also tried a few varieties of Anubias, which I haven't had quite as much luck with. They seem to be growing okay, but they keep turning yellow, even with some light, and they aren't growing nearly as fast.

I've also heard some good things (and have some) Java Fern, but it also seems to be growing very slowly, I do know it can grow EVERYWHERE once it starts growing, though.

All of these can be bought at Petsmart or Petco for around $4-6 for small plants (get small for Wisteria, they grow incredibly fast) or $7-9 for larger ones (I'd do large java ferns or anubias since they tend to grow slower).

Sorry if it's kind of long, I just figured I'd break it down into all the ones I've tried in my tank :)

Wow thank you so much!:)

I have Cabomba and a Marimo Moss Ball, I should mention though that my tank has the upper limit of light, hence the Cabomba. Anacharis is one I have been meaning to get, but the store has been out for months, really nice plant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back