Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Upgrading 60 liter (15gal) to 200 liter (55 gal) tank and need some advice

Sherleelee

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have not posted in a fair while :)
I am in the stages of upgrading my axie Bubbles 60 liter tank to a 200 liter 4ft long tank as he is quite big now and I want to get him some companions.

Because im in the stages of upgrading his tank I went out to the pet store ( just to get the norm filter pad, feeder fish ect) and loe and behold my norm pet store has a pretty young wild axie for sale ( this pet store is got a "so so" rep with myself for normally having axies in a poor condition ( my axie bubbles was bought from this place but he was baby too when I got him over 2 and a half years ago) so of course knowing im upgrading and getting 4 more over a span of time I was like I MUST HAVE HER!!! so after much begging to my husband I walked out there with a wee bit more then I thought I would. ( This also gave me a good opportunity to see how he would react with another axie cause if he was one to be alone I prob wouldn't upgrade to such a large tank)
I am really glad to see that it has been 4 days and so far he seems to really enjoy her company ( I have named her Spot cause she is a wild spotted axie, original I know haha)
Now I am cleaning poop ect every day as my filter has decided to die as well and I cant justify buying a new one. NOW MY QUESTIONS!

What are some good hiding items I could get for this tank as I will have up to 5 in the next few months

What kind of filter should I look at, im leaning more towards a canister but would really like to hear everyone elses opinion on the matter ( yes I would put a spray bar ect on the outtake to make the water less disturbed.)

Is there such a thing as to much air? I will be having a bubble wall as my axie bubbles adores riding on them and would like to get one or 2 bubblers as I kind of want to go a pirate theme. ( so all that plus the filter)

Can axies live on a basic diet of worms? I want to know this because the fact im going to have so many axies to feed im going to look at getting a starter worm farm and buying 1000 worms from QLD to set it off.

What kind of lighting would I want to be looking at normal white ones or the blue ones or w.e

And could I do a planted tank if I anchor the plants down and would that be a benefit to my tank? If so what plants would ya'll suggest.

Sorry if I asked a lot of questions, just really want to do this right ^.^

Possum63

Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm by no means an expert but I shall have a go at answering some of your questions and hopefully a more experienced keeper will jump in too :)

1. A lot of people use PVC pipe (like a stormwater pipe bend for example) or terracotta pots for hiding spots. They are cheap and safe for your axy but sometimes not the most attractive thing.

2. I started off with an internal filter and after about two weeks changed to a canister. Not because the filter didn't do a good job, but because it had too strong of a current. Canister filters do a fantastic job and it's a lot easier to adjust the flow rate with a spray bar directed at the glass. It's my personal preference although the more pricey one in the beginning.

3. Not so sure on this one although I'm leaning towards the answer no as long as it's not too disrupting or unsettling for your axy having so much air bubble streaming in the tank but if they enjoy the bubbles go ahead. (Please a more experienced keeper jump in here)

4. I believe worms are a balanced and nutritional diet that is fine for axy to live on their whole life. My guys personally have just been moved onto a mainly tiger worm diet with the occassional treat of raw prawn or chicken and sometimes pellets.

5. As you probably know, axy don't need lights and it's often stressful to them. However, if you insist on having lights, I read a couple days ago that the blue LED lights are fine to have on all the time for axy because they aren't too bright for them. (Please a more experienced keeper jump in here)

6. My knowledge here is very limited as only a couple weeks ago was when I first plunged into the planted tank world. I believe they can definitely benefit a tank. They help to take out nitrates and oxygenate the water. I also like the look of live plants over plastic. I personally have just got Twisted Vallisneria because it is a hardy plant that can adjust to a wide range of water quality. It looks lovely in my tank (I especially love the twisted look) and it's very easy keep. It doesn't need a thick substrate - I was told no more thank an inch is needed and my plants are thriving on a fine silica sand substrate of about 1-2cm depth (I haven't put any fertilizer or other boosters in either). My plants have also had a bit of rough and tumble with my axy when my pretty boy got over excited for a worm and latched on the plant - and the plant come out perfectly fine just a couple tears in one or two leaves. I also know this particular plant doesn't need a Co2 injection like some plants do and doesn't need lighting. And further more, it's not an expensive plant to get. I read it was the perfect plant for axolotl keeps and so far I am very impressed with it. I definitely recommend it as a great axolotl plant for beginners such as me :)

Hope I managed to help you out in some way :) Have a great day! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1