Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Unexpected Eggs (i thought they were all boys)

ciele02

Reaction score
Hi, I came home today and found at least a hundred eggs I was not expecting. I have a small tank I can transfer them into tonight and was going to fill it with cycled water from the large tank. Do I need to do a daily water change, or put an airstone in? or would they be ok in the tank overnight and wait to get a tank divider? Thanks heaps

elim

Reaction score
Hi, I came home today and found at least a hundred eggs I was not expecting. I have a small tank I can transfer them into tonight and was going to fill it with cycled water from the large tank. Do I need to do a daily water change, or put an airstone in? or would they be ok in the tank overnight and wait to get a tank divider? Thanks heaps

Congrats! :happy:

I thought my axies were girls until I woke up one morning to eggs. Now they're in seperate tanks.. I should rename them Romeo and Juliet.. they hate being separated and always hang around walls where both of their tanks meet.

I used tank water and didn't change the water until at least half of them hatched. Though I did move the hatchlings to a different tank and changed the water everyday. They'll be fine overnight. I also didn't use a bubbler for the eggs and they were all fine.

ciele02

Reaction score
Thanks heaps for that, I will move them to a little tank when I get back from work. At moment the one I'm taking as mum, because I know who dad is, is standing guard, or so it looks. She's sitting at bottom of plant the eggs are on and keeps pushing the others away when they come near. Well that's what it looks like anyways.

racheljritchie

Reaction score
i don't think they are too protective of their eggs, mine tried to eat some of hers! :( dont think she liked the sticky stuff around them so kept spitting them back out and then eating again....it went on a while!!

pascale

Reaction score
WOW!! How exciting and a nice surprise!
I think both my bubs are boys, so hopefully there is something in the brissie water and I wake up with eggs in the next few weeks too ;)

ciele02

Reaction score
she laid eggs consistantly for 4 days and I ended up with about 400...luckily Potto came to the rescue and took them for me as he has an excellent set up

ciele02

Reaction score
Pascale, Hi are you in Brissie? my babies have hatched about 2 weeks ago...I have various shades of wildtype and they are about 2cm at moment. If you are interested in some once they are bigger let me know and we can work something out. I have a few "special"one's I want to keep, eyeless and that sort of thing but I'm just trying to get them all big without them cannabalizing each other !

pascale

Reaction score
absolutely am interested! Im over the north-side but happy to travel to adopt :happy:
Im in the process of setting up a new 130L so would gladly give them a good home.
Let me know when you are ready to sell and ill send you a PM or email:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1