Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Obvious veins in the gills....

Dipsy66

Reaction score
Have attached two pics...the one of Rosie's gills (she's in a tank in my office) up close with the pale gills and clearly showing veins and the other of my male axie Sal at home, who's gills seem a much more solid colour.

Am concerned about Rosie as we are having trouble keeping the water cool in this heatwave we're having. I have 3 bottles in the freezer in our office and I keep rotating the bottles to keep the temperature down. We leave a fan on the tank over night but the temp is sitting at about 23 C.

Rosie is not showing any serious signs of stress, she is not curling her gills OR her tail and is happily eating. I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can for her til the weather cools.

Am considering bringing her home for the weekend so she's not left in a hot tank all weekend as the forecast good weather is set to continue.

Do you, my esteemed Axie owners, think she's looking ok?????

Attachments

• 2013-07-11 10.35.25.jpg
    2013-07-11 10.35.25.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 389
  • 2013-07-10 20.27.22.jpg
    2013-07-10 20.27.22.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 506

Quentari

Reaction score
Well a stable slightly warmer temp is better than a highly fluctuating cooler temp, but cooler is better. 23 is kind of the highest I would let it get.

I don't know about her gills though, hopefully someone with more experience can help? I don't know if lecustics normally show veins or not.

Dipsy66

Reaction score
Thanks for that....am going to bring her home with me for the weekend and temporarily see if she will settle with my two until the heatwave passes. Will feel bad separating her again but her health is important to me.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Veins in the gills are normal. After all, that's how gills work: blood flows in, oxygen and CO2 are exchanged, blood flows back to the body.

Dipsy66

Reaction score
Veins in the gills are normal. After all, that's how gills work: blood flows in, oxygen and CO2 are exchanged, blood flows back to the body.

Thanks Kaysie.....feel alot happier about your comment....she's certainly content enough, eating and all.....I didn't put her in with my two..she's so used to being on her own I didn't want to upset the apple cart, so to speak...and would have felt awful separating her from the others when I returned her to work on Monday.

Your input is most appreciated. :happy:

Tephra

Reaction score
Veins in pink gills from leucistics, albinos, etc... are perfectly normal. Especially when they are (or have just been) active. Nothing to worry about :)

HayleyK

Reaction score
My leucistic has veins in her gills and across her head, and a little on her body. They normally appear if she's just eaten or active :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1