Behavior and color genetics

mandachan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've seen around that certain color morphs can be more aggressive or whatever, but I wanted input from more experienced axolotl owners. Xochi, my melanoid, seems a lot more social than Chalchi, my wild-type. Xochi always swims up to say hello when I go near the tank, while Chalchi kinda just sits around until I put food in the tank, and even then, it'll take him a while to come over to it.

Any ideas? I have no problem with it, I'm more curious than anything.

My leucistic is less sociable than my melanoid, but much more aggressive when it comes to food! :p

My wildtype juvie swims heaps, my albino just sits there. In the adults tank all of them are pretty lazy but my gold is most active, then the copper, my melanoid is just REALLY lazy though.

My melanoid and leucustic are definitely the most sociable, but my golden albino is probably the most active.

My leucistic is less sociable than my melanoid, but much more aggressive when it comes to food! :p

My female wild type is more socialble and my leucistic male much less so but he is definitely more aggressive when it comes to food.

I should add, that while my leucistic is one of my more sociable axies, when it comes to feeding time, she is also the only one of the three that will swim at the glass and try to bite me through it if I get too close to the tank while she's eating, lol.

My Golden is my most active always walking and swimming around the tank and comes to the top when feeding. my one wild is a close second always walking at the front of the tank because that's where i drop the food, then i would have to say my leucistic females then males and my melaniod is the most lazy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back