Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mean axie. What to do!

Morrison

Reaction score
I have 3 coppers. 2 males, 1 female. The female is a little bigger but she's also a brat.
She keeps biting of the limbs of my other axie.
I put them in a separate tank to grow them back and then I hope she won't do it again.

But I guess she enjoys it. So I'm separating her now. But I feel bad because it's just a small tub. I don't have a big tank or something to keep her in. And I want them to be together to... I don't know... breed one day. They're still a bit too young... I just don't know what to do with her sometimes.

Anger management for axies¿

Any other options?

Quentari

Reaction score
What sized tank are they in? How much are they being fed a day? how big are they? How much bigger is the female? how many hides are in the tank?

All these things can influence the behaviour of axies.

You might also be able to get a divider in the meantime.

FX1C

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the tank they were all sharing when she attacked them?

Are any of the hides cave style with just one opening? Or are the hides all open ended like tunnels? Without offering escape routes they may feel cornered & lash out so they can escape.. :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

Morrison

Reaction score
I'll see if I can make a picture. It's pretty dead right now.
But I have a PVC pipe and a cave like hide. It has a big opening and some sorta 'window' where they can fit through (they still can. I think it gets a little harder when they're full grown axies)

I have 2 plants. One of them is a big and leafy one. And they love to sit on top of it/in it. And the other is just an average bunch of simple cold water plants.

No sand (they still poop sand after 1,5 months). And a little problem called brown algae. That's pretty much it. (Oh and a filter (ofcourse) and a lid to keep the kitties away)

Binky

Reaction score
I have 3 coppers. 2 males, 1 female. The female is a little bigger but she's also a brat.
She keeps biting of the limbs of my other axie.
I put them in a separate tank to grow them back and then I hope she won't do it again.

But I guess she enjoys it. So I'm separating her now. But I feel bad because it's just a small tub. I don't have a big tank or something to keep her in. And I want them to be together to... I don't know... breed one day. They're still a bit too young... I just don't know what to do with her sometimes.

Anger management for axies¿

Any other options?
Maybe a plant pot and a big rock so they can hide and keep away from the lady when she's being nasty...Both mine have their own, favourite hides and get a bit grumpy if Moog's in Binky's hide and vice versa. Also a big rock is perfect for them to stand on, hide behind or just race around it:) I just got mine off the beach, washed it in the stream and put it in the tank...It's one of their favourite things. Hope you're little Axolotls start getting on...without chewing the others:/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!