Another fungus post. Worried.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
I have a new, small wild type axie that has many spots so im really unsure... but there is one that just looks not right to me but its not "cottony" or "fluffy" it's just clouded unlike the others. The place where I bought him from says its not fungus but I'm a bit paranoid. I don't have a light on my aquarium so quality might be bad and I didn't want to flash him too many times on the face. What do you think it is? Is it bad to give them salt baths if there's no fungus?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 233
Another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 227
That might just be the skin... try adding mopani wood to your tank. Its similar to a tea bath because it adds tannins to the tank that soothe and heal the skin. If it gets any worse try the black tea method (look under sick axolotl) because that's less harsh.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I think if it was fungus it would be white, fluffy and cotton looking.....I think you're okay. :happy:

It's just the slime coat. But way to be observant!

You don't want to give salt baths when they're not needed. They can be irritating, even damaging, to axolotl's sensitive skin. Some people like to use salt baths as a shotgun treatment, but they're only effective in specific cases.

Here's a clearer one I managed to get (although I feel terrible for flashing in his/her face) it seems to be getting more noticeable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 213
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back