Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl help?

damoflamo

Reaction score
I bought a 'pink' axolotl with a front leg missing the story is the mother did it
My problem is white furry stuff is growing on the stump
What is it and what can I do??

I also what to add a stupid question
WHY CANT I STOP STARING AT THEM lol

Dipsy66

Reaction score
The white furry stuff is probably fungus and will need to be treated. See the tutorial added by Jennewt above.

It really works....just make sure the salt is non-iodized!!!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Oh....and the reason you can't stop staring at them is because they are so totally addictive!!! I'm the same and I've taken hundreds of photos of them.....have turned into a total axie-geek!!! :)

damoflamo

Reaction score
Wow that is some intense stuff I can't believe I have to do that, honestly I have to put it in the fridge ?I feel so mean I guess its easier than watching it die (not knowing the sex) when i learn how to use this site better i will put pics of my black and pink axie up thank you for the help it was most helpful and will post how i get on

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're native to glacially fed lakes; they like the fridge. Being mean would be keeping it warm and letting it die.

damoflamo

Reaction score
Its the middle of winter her at the moment give or take, tank is average 6 to 8'c can or do I need to buy something to keep it cool during the summer what temp is to warm and to cold damn I wish they closed that pet shop down when there were reports of live dogs dumped in the skip bin

Possum63

Reaction score
Hello fellow kiwi :D

Welcome to the forum etc :)

Your tank is really cold!! Where do you keep it?! Lol my flatmate keeps hers in the garage and it only gets down to about 10 minimum! :eek:

ANyways, durin summer it can get too hot for axys so my flatmate and I used the floating ice bottles trick which worked okay but took a lot of persistance and being consistant... I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have the time or freeze space :) Other options are fans directed at the water surface, moving to a cool room or lower room level (Floor, basement, etc) or getting an aquarium chiller (Expensive but worth it for ease).

Too warm is generally in the 20 degree celcious. I don't let my tanks get above 20 but some say up to 22 is okay. Too cold is under 5 (Especially important when fridging but ideal temp when fridging is 7-8 degrees celcious)

Also, fridging isn't essential when doing salt baths and since your tank is already so cold I wouldn't bother fridging :)

damoflamo

Reaction score
Wow thanks our house is rather cold we basicly live by the heater wear lots of cloths or live in bed with electric blanket. I'm happy I don't have to keep him\her in fridge I feel sad its so dark and lonely in there and my tank is naked all I have is a terricota pot and a plant to look at :-( I think I will get a cooler for it, I actually thought pinky would have died by now so I did plan to set tank up for a Boris (turtle for anyone outside NZ) but I don't think it be the same as an axie. I have passed the first day of salt bathing. Are there any signs to tell me if im doing it wrong? If pinky does die do they float? I'm actually really scared.

Dipsy66

Reaction score
I timed my salt baths....15 minutes on the dot Amanda was out the salt and back into the clean water.....her recovery has been amazing.....here's some pics from the cotton fungus, to the salt baths and fridging, to how she looks today with gill almost back to normal and new "feathers" growing on it.

It's only been about 3 weeks so you can see how quick the recovery has been.

Good luck with your little one......and, as Possum63 says "since your tank is already so cold I wouldn't bother fridging :)"

Attachments

• 8 (8).jpg
    8 (8).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 12 (4).jpg
    12 (4).jpg
    153 KB · Views: 182
  • 12 (2).jpg
    12 (2).jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 13 (6).jpg
    13 (6).jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 22 (11).jpg
    22 (11).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 25 (5).jpg
    25 (5).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 189

Possum63

Reaction score
I know "naked" tanks can be boring to look at, but while your little axy is sick, it's actually better for him/her. It means you can ensure the tank remains extremely clean for him/her :)

When s/he heals you could invest in some cheap decorations such as a hollow log and some fake (or real) plants. Trademe does have some good deals on that if you look hard enough both my flatmate and I got all our ornaments super cheap for 2nd hand but in great condition off there :) (Be sure to steralise if you buy second hand and rinse well if new)

Axolotl are VERY hardy little pets... My flatmate and I have (unintentionally of course!) put our poor guys through some testing situations and they are still alive and well and thriving :) It's a huge learning curve with axy even when you do a lot of research there is always still so much to learn. Just recently my flatmates golden axy got bullied very bad when we were both away (both back legs were mashed up and super gross his front leg was grazed and the tip of his tail was nipped off) and then he got fugus and lost all his gill filaments (The feather part of his gills) and he's still alive and slowly recovering :)

Make sure you don't do salt baths for any longer than 15 minutes. You can expect some skin flaking with salt baths because the salt is irritating to an axolotls soft skin (Flaking doesn't always occur it hasn't in our sick fella). You can also expect some stress signs during and for a short time after the salt bath. But if you do it to the recipe and no longer than 15 min then you should be fine with salt baths :)

Also, for dead axy, I've heard they don't float and they just sorta look like they are just still on the bottom and the only real way to tell is by trying to move them... But I've never had or seen a dead one so don't know for sure :)

damoflamo

Reaction score
I have noticed feather colour change in my pinky before I started salt bath they were almost red now they are a pale pink is there any reason for this? I'm glad I have help from everybody and im also glad I did buy this poor pinky as I know for a fact it wouldn't have been cared for at the pet shop properly. I accidentally stripped the fungus off s/hes stump when transferring I'm thinking to salt bath untill leg is fully recovered Is this a good idea? Is there any chance it won't grow back at all? I'm guessing there's already a thread on it but its hard for me to navigate this site on smartphone both my axies will only eat live food mainly earthworms im guessing this isn't a problem?

Possum63

Reaction score
I read that pale gills (That are normally bright colours) is called temporary anemia (sp?) and is caused by low pH... You'll have to do some further research on this as I'm not entirely sure about.

I wouldn't advise salt baths until fully recovered - only them for as long as the fugus is around. If you have just removed the fungus of the stump then I would do one or two more salt baths to prevent it returning and then leave pinky without treatment for a few days. If the fungus doesn't return then start a course of tea baths which while soothe the skin from the salt baths and help the slime coat, as well as preventing fungus from returning :)

Also, well done for removing the fungus. If you can do it in a gentle way that doesn't hurt the animal, then in my opinion, this is good as it cleans the wound. There is a chance it won't grow back although chances are rather slim since you are doing everything right. Pinky may also grow a fifth leg or extra toes or some other deformity which is perfectly normal (My guy has two extra toes on his front foot :)

damoflamo

Reaction score
thanks all for the help i will find tea bath steps next, while transfering after salt bath today noticed pinky still slimy and slipery not sure if my 'feel' is enough to not need tea bath?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!