Large bloated axi.. need advice

hellyeah

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi.. I've had my axolotls for years.. Always healthy, but now one of the first ones I got is not well.. I haven't seen her eat in months and yet she has a large body. Her head and tail are normal. I was thinking she might have eggs.. But she's been this big for around 2-3 maths..g.. One of them has just laid eggs.. But there not hers. She's still very large. I picked her up while removing the eggs and there is 3 bulges on her right side.. I tried feeding her just then and spat the food out..
Could it just be old age or tumours? I'm considering put her to sleep as she can't go on like this.. She couldn't be happy without eating.. She doesn't float at all.. Still wanders around, just a bit lop sided

Hi im sorry to hear about your girl. can you post photos to help us see?
are the bulges soft/ hard/coloured etc?
what your tank parameters like? are they kept on rocks/stones?
what does she normally get fed?
has she been eating at all - i would think she would be very skinny if not eat in months?
please give us some more info so we can help.

Hi.. Ijust read a late post.. My girl looks just like this other one. More than likely fluid retention.. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back