Are dollarama/dollar store plants aquarium safe?

kroezen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'd like to put some more things in my tank so my axolotls can feel a bit more safe. Right now it's very bare; just a layer of sand, a sponge filter, a large plant pot on its side, and a bright pink and white plastic plant I got in a fish tank starter kit years ago.
I was curious about dollar store plants because pet store plants are crazy expensive and real plants are a bit too difficult to obtain right now... plus I'm super broke.
The plants I thinking of are the silky/plastic flowers and leaves (None of the painted or sparkled ones of course). Does anyone know if these are okay?

If you're talking about those craft ones i generally wouldn't reccomend it. The dye isn't very sturdy and they often have metal inside to hold them in position.

Some dollar stores sell actual aquarium plants though, you could look into that?

I would not trust anything from the dollar store in an aquarium tbh... maybe if it was made for aquariums, but i'd still be careful.

I think if your buying plants from the dollars stores "pet"section no problems. Honestly i have seen the same brand of plants at my local dollar store that are for sale at my local vets with up to $10 difference in the price....I buy most of mine from the dollar shop and have no problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back