Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My First Axolotl!

Vaan2931

Reaction score
Hi there! I figured it was time I finally introduced myself after having my axolotl for a few months now and also to ask a little question.

My name is Kerri-Ann and I'm from Scotland. I own 5 fish tanks (one of which is my axolotl), two dogs and two rabbits. One of my tanks contains a red male betta fish called Lenny, a 64 litre with four gouramis, a rainbow shark and a corydora. We also have a guppy breeding tank and a 39 litre with mickey mouse platys and neon tetras.

Our dogs are called Alfie and Gracie. Alfie is a collie, crossed with a german shepard and a lurcher and Gracie is an Old English sheepdog.

My axolotl is called Gill-Bert and I believe he is albino. At the moment I suspect he is a boy. I feed him on earth worms and sometimes brine shrimp, blood worms or daphnia as a treat. I have some pictures of him but I don't know how to attach them. :confused:

I have noticed that he seems to swim around a lot and doesn't spend much time at the bottom of the tank, which is unusual as I read they prefer to stay on the ground. Despite this, the only time he really ever spends not moving is when he is sitting on his plants. I don't know if this is unusual or if he is just being a little weirdo. :wacko:

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Kerri-Ann and welcome to the forum! I'm moving your post to the axolotl subforum where it should receive more attention and start a discussion.

Quentari

Reaction score
Hey there! When you start a thread there's a "manage attachments" button that will open in a new window and allow you to attach I think it's 6 pictures. Then just hit "upload" then shut the window when you're done.

If he's white with red eyes he's probably an albino, if the eyes are white it's probably a lecustic. Once you've uploaded some pics of him I'm sure we'll be able to tell you his gender.

Adults are really lazy (usually 19cm +) but if he's young (15cm or smaller) he'll possibly be very active (although testing the water can ease your worries too)

Vaan2931

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I'm really glad to be a part of the website! :love:

Sorry for the late response but I managed to get some (pretty bad) photos of him. It's quite difficult as he's so fast.

Attachments

• 012 (2).jpg
    012 (2).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 001 (3).jpg
    001 (3).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 244

mackinthebox

Reaction score
My lotl is about a year old now, just around 6 inches long and he is still quite the active swimmer
I think its part of their instinctive hunting pattern, but i have no evidence to support this, its just a hunch ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!