Hi

dennis

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im dennis....been lurking here a while scouring for information but haven't had much to give back so I haven't posted..........ya gotta a sweet place here n kudos to everyone contributing cuz theres a ton a solid info here I appreciate.

I'm kinda an older character n I've kept all sorts a reptiles n amphibians since I was two ....I'm 37 so its basically been a life long obsession. I prefer fascination.

Ive reproduced over 50 species of reptiles n amphibians for profit but mostly for the challenge. Nowadays the economy and my health has forced me to concentrate more on just a few species. I primarily breed beaded lizards n Gila monsters these days and I got a fairly big collection of the lil dinosaurs that keep me way way busy. I actually am getting beaded lizard eggs from my first girl of the season right now......helodermid lizards are a whole other realm of reptile imho and anyone fascinated with reptiles should experience them one day. The first beaded lizard I hatched looked at me as I first looked at it in my incubator and I swear almost said DADDY. They are amazing intelligent.

but I love amphibians too and at one time I was raising at least twenty different dart frogs types but I got out of that cuz the fruit flies drew way way too many spiders into my house nonstop and the value of them dropped so it wasn't as feasible to individually raise each one.

I recently acquired a awesome group of young axolotls from Kats aquatics I couldn't more pleased with for a research experiment with biodynamics in aquaponics. They and a couple catfish are gonna be my top level predators in a closed loop ecosystem I'm setting up here to test a few things but also I just missed keepin axis they rock!.

peace

Dennis

This is Cartman n Princess, two of my adult banded Gilas. I paired these animals this season but they did not produce a clutch. Princess produced a beautiful baby a couple seasons back but Cartman has not fathered a clutch yet . l am starting to think he is either a robust over aggressive female or a very low libido male. I stimulate breeding and determine the sex of my heloderm lizards by allowing the males to engage in combat with their mouths muzzled. With two males its is usually a instant WWF style wrestling match but lately I have noticed sometimes females are combative too......frustrates me n fascinates me all at once. This is my seventh year working with my Gila monster n Beaded lizard colonies and fourth season attempting to reproduce them. I have a breeding project happening with beaded lizards right now completely unique of anything else in the whole world and that's very exciting to say it modestly.

So far this season I got 24 fertile eggs incubating 8 gilas n 16 beaded and I'd guess another 20-40 more beaded eggs still to be laid and its exciting to succeed as I am n making haters HATE. These lizards are rare n very valuable for a good reason. It is not easy at all to get them to breed. A good comparison is to consider them the Pandas of the reptiles. They are highly specialized and are only reproductively receptive for a small window of time ideally every season. I've worked with animals for 35 years 100% dedicated nonstop and with reptiles I seriously have a gift....... I AM THE LIZARD KING .....lol

peace

Attachments

• cartman1.jpg
    cartman1.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 138
  • cartman2.jpg
    cartman2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 128
  • cartman3.jpg
    cartman3.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 114
  • princess1.jpg
    princess1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 114
  • princess2.jpg
    princess2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 115
  • princess5.jpg
    princess5.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 116
Here is a couple baby banded Gilas I hatched here in Jurassic Pets dungeons last season......

The extremely symmetric patterned gorgeous animal is Grace and the other one Trouble.

Peace

Attachments

• babgila2.jpg
    babgila2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 112
  • babgila3.jpg
    babgila3.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 125
  • babgila4.jpg
    babgila4.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 116
  • trouble 4.jpg
    trouble 4.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 115
  • trouble2.jpg
    trouble2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 118
  • trouble3.jpg
    trouble3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 116
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back