Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What type am i???

Stacey87

Reaction score
Hi i recently purchased a baby wild type axolotl, however he/she seems a completely different colour to my other wild type, so im not sure if they have different coloration types or if in fact he/she is a different type of lotl all together !!!

it doesn't matter either way if it is or isn't a wild type i would just like to cure my curiosity :)

first pic is my new axolotl, and second is of my adult wildtype.

p.s it's gills do NOT flop forward normally, i just caught him with the camera right in the middle of backing off into the tube, as he/she is very camera shy and still settling in to his new home.

Attachments

• new axie.jpg
    new axie.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 270
  • 558514_10152095794670644_1440730159_n.jpg
    558514_10152095794670644_1440730159_n.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 252

jburns2422

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I do believe that is a "melanoid" somebody else with more experience will come along soon and confirm it or shoot it down! Lol very pretty though;)

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk 2

emmyk

Reaction score
He/she looks a bit like a melanoid, but could be a wild type because the colors vary:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Stacey87

Reaction score
i know the parents are wildtype and leucistic. I'm still new to the genetics. So what is a melanoid. I have a adult wildtype, A white albino and a golden albino, don't know much about melanoids.

skelly98

Reaction score
It is possible it could be a Melanoid, but only if the parents were both heterogenous... I'd bet on it just being a dark wild type.

emmyk

Reaction score
Yeah its almost definitely a wild type.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Petersgirl

Reaction score
You can tell a melanoid from a Wild because Melanoids are often very dark in colour and their irises are completely black, a solid matt black. A Wild will have a shiny iridescent ring around their pupil when it catches the light - often a silvery blue colour, or similar.

Your baby looks to be Wildtype - they can vary in colour from a dark brown to a very pale grey, and can even be a very vivid green! The spots are also very common in Wildies - they can have solid brown spots, shiny gold iridophores...the list goes on and on! The red gills are also very common in Wildies and tend to be very dark - albinos tend to have lighter red or pink gills unless they are active!

He/she is a lovely colour though! S/he reminds me of Alkylhalide's Texas :)

Stacey87

Reaction score
ok, thanks very much for the info, i hope s/he keeps their colour coz its pretty :) but either way it will still have a lot of love just like my other three, and possibly a 5th one on the horizon I'm wanting a leucistic, i just cant help myself they are so amazing and interesting to watch, its also amazing how different their behaviours can be from one axie to the next, apart from when it comes to eating earthworms they all just suck them up like spaghetti :)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Agree totally! There are a billion posts on this board about their cute little habits and crazy things they do...your baby might keep his colour or it might change, and sometimes, they get even more amazing. My Toothless was Wild when I got her. After three months, she developed golden iridophores and now when she catches the light she's like a leopard in reverse. I can't help thinking she is very prettiful when she catches the light :)

Ooh...get a leucy with freckles! The freckles are so cute! Look at Snuggly Time's Wooper - he has freckles making up a mask on his face.
I told myself I didn't have room for a second one when I got Tooth as I had to rush to get her a ten gallon...then I saw my Golden, Galaxy, in a store, and my heart melted. Skinny, no gills, in a small tank with the light on and pebbles...I had to take him home!
And invest in a 2ft 30 Gallon. And get him a hide. And his own bubbler. And a filter...

Like one member said, they're like Pringles! You can't have just the one :p

Stacey87

Reaction score
yeah that's what i would like, people round here call them clownfaced axies, i think they're super cute, never seen any for sale anywhere close though :-( but i wont give up :) well i started off with one wildtype (Bruce) in a ten gal, then like you i saw a white albino in a pet shop (dori) and she was just crying out for some decent care and tlc, so i HAD to buy her, got a bigger tank, then i saw my golden axie and thought she was a beauty (gill) so then i got a 4 foot tank, and now have my new little baby, but sadly hasn't got a name yet as i don't know if its a she or a him yet.

Quentari

Reaction score
The colouration is similar to my copper axie, can you take a closer look at his eyes and see if they are black or a dark red? (you might need a good light to see this properly)

racheljritchie

Reaction score
Hi i recently purchased a baby wild type axolotl, however he/she seems a completely different colour to my other wild type, so im not sure if they have different coloration types or if in fact he/she is a different type of lotl all together !!!

Hi Stacey is that the one you bought from me? if it is from what i could tell he/she is wildtype...i'm not an expert tho!! (irridopheres and ring around eye)

Here is a pic of your baby a week or two before you collected him/her, you might be able to see better in this pic :D

Attachments

• 20130625_200708.jpg
    20130625_200708.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 189

Stacey87

Reaction score
yeah it is rachel :) like i said im still new and dont know all the genetics and stuff was just going from my wildtype and seems how they were totally different colours was just wondering lol. makes no difference what type s/he is though. s/he is settling in fab :)

Hi Stacey is that the one you bought from me? if it is from what i could tell he/she is wildtype...i'm not an expert tho!! (irridopheres and ring around eye)

Here is a pic of your baby a week or two before you collected him/her, you might be able to see better in this pic :D

racheljritchie

Reaction score
yeah it is rachel :) like i said im still new and dont know all the genetics and stuff was just going from my wildtype and seems how they were totally different colours was just wondering lol. makes no difference what type s/he is though. s/he is settling in fab :)

I am not expert either :confused: His/her dad is wildtype but lots darker like your adult. In the pic i posted i believe you can see irridophores on his/her gills and the golden circle around its eyes? I am no good at genetics either...basically what i just said above is all i know!! :rolleyes:

Glad he/she is settling in well. We have named the one we kept Obi (my son wanted obi wan kenobi) but i think obi is enough lol:wacko:

Stacey87

Reaction score
well i know nothing ha ha so i will go with what you say :)
well i have Bruce, dori and gill named by my 3 yr old nephew and he is adamant that my new one is going to be called nemo :-/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1