Interested in an aquatic/semi aquatic animal.

emmyk

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 20g tank with my lovely stanley in it, so now I have an empty 10g tank. I would love a caudate... but if anyone has any other interesting animals they would like to share with me it would be great, I want to take time and learn about the species before getting it. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Aquatic:
-Axolotl
-Spanish Ribbed Newt(can be semi aquatic but usually never on land)

SemiAquatic:
-Crocodile Newts
-CB Chinese Firebelly Newts
-CB Japanese firebelly newts
-Warty Newts
-Firebelly Toads

Terrestrial:
- Tiger Salamander
- Marbled Salamander
-Fire Salamander

And if you want a reptile, you could go with a baby leopard or crested gecko
Make sure whatever you get is legal to own in your state

Thank you so much:) my Stanley is an axolotl.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SemiAquatic:
-Crocodile Newts
-CB Chinese Firebelly Newts
-CB Japanese firebelly newts
-Warty Newts
-Firebelly Toads

Of those, only the firebelly toads and some of the crocodile newts are semiaquatic, the rest behave fully aquatic in captivity.

I know it's not a caudate but what about a clawed frog? They're easy to keep and have bags of personality, they always remind me of axolotls in fast forward!!

What temperature range could you maintane in the tank? This would be one of the most important deciding facters when getting a caudate (most connot tolerate high temperatures).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back