Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spot is not getting a break.. she is now twitching really bad! Video in side please help!

Sherleelee

Reaction score
I have had my axolotl Spot in her own tank for a day now and I was feeding her a worm and i noticed that before and after she ate it just started twitching really bad.. I attempted to record it the best I could with my phone.. can someone please tell me what this would be! I am doing dailey 70% water changes and the filter in the tank is cycled.
Here is the video
Spot my new axolotl twitching - YouTube

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Sorry, my processing speed on this computer isn't terrific so I couldn't see the video very smoothly.

First of all, Spot is a very plump and otherwise healthy looking lady! But I have a few worries. Where did the worms come from? Are they bigger than her mouth? Is there any chance the worms could be contaminated?

I could see what I considered to be 'normal' impulsive twitching - the hunting twitch - but I also thought I saw sudden jerking of the head. Does this only happen when she swims?

If the twitching is not normal, and it isn't caused by contaminated food - there may be a chance that it's just the bitter taste they sometimes excrete, especially if they're red wrigglers - then you may have to get Spot checked out. I would be concerned it's a tumour or similar. I can't see clearly whether the twitching is abnormal or not so I can't be sure, but these are some suggestions if the twitching isn't normal.
I hope she is okay soon!

Sherleelee

Reaction score
How would I post something directly here?

The worms are from my local fish store where I have bought worms for them for over 2 years since I got my other axie bubbles.

I didn't get a shot of her when she was going crazy around the tank, she uses her back leg almost like a dog to scratch her gill area. She does like head bang, The worms are to big for her so I do cut them in half so she can eat them in one go. She has had 1 1/2 worms today which is why she looks full, trying to get her as plump as possible before the move to the big tank.

I have put a towel back over the tank and she seems ok at the moment but will keep an eye on her. My husband seemed to think that it could be that because she is so small when she ate the worm maybe she could feel them wiggling inside her and irritated her. Is this possible?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, it looks to me like something is irritating its gills, have you tested the water for ammonia and nitrite? high levels of either can cause the twitching in the video. Also 70% water changes daily seem like way too much! It could be chlorine or some other chemical that's present in your tap water that's causing the animal to scratch.
Hope this helps!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Aha - from the description I'd say the poor thing has an uncomfortable tummy! Mine did this when I first got them and they were passing gravel, getting used to new food sources and different water.

If it's just occasional then I wouldn't worry, keep an eye out for gravel in her poop. If she still seems distressed check the water quality - sometimes high nitrates/nitrites.ammonia can make them try and scratch their gills like a dog.

(and you can upload pics and video using the 'manage attachments' button below the reply box)

Sherleelee

Reaction score
Ok I will do less of a water change from now on as in like 50% it is only a 30L tank at the moment thats why I feel I should change it once a day at 50-70%

Did the upload work?

hm sorry bit confusing seems it did not work >.< will see if it happens tomorrow when I go to feed/change her water, and take a better video and figure it out then, thanks for the reply's everyone.

Mortimer

Reaction score
Poor little guy! Can you post some up-close pictures of his head/gills? Also, I noticed a white streak on his belly when he swam to the top. Has that always been there?

You definitely need to check the water parameters--ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH. What is the temp? How are you treating the water? Why are you changing the water so frequently?

Also, I'd add a couple of hides in there. That wouldn't be related to his behavior, but it might be adding to his discomfort.

Please keep us posted! Fingers crossed.

Tephra

Reaction score
You said this is a new tank? She seems healthy enough; she might just be spazzing out with stress. Which is normal with a move to a new tank.

Sherleelee

Reaction score
It seems she may have a bit of a fungus problem, as she has a very fine white fuzz on her head and that "white streak" under her tail, I am doing frequent water changes because its only a 30L tank so it would get pretty messy in there. She hasn't done the twitch thing today so far ( i just got home from work about an hour ago) She did eat half a worm which im happy about as well.

With that small white fuzz should I just put a bit of aquarium salt in with her next water change? or should I fridge her. She is still quite little and such so I don't want to stress her out more than she is. I have fridged my other axie bubbles for a week before due to fungus so I know the route, but he had it really bad. What do yall reckon.

I will take water parameters shortly and post them

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know i'ts hard but i would stop feeding her until you find the problem, if it is a water quality issue feeding her will only make matters worse! The slime/fungal issue sounds like she's shedding mucus, again this would make me think there's a ammonia/nitrite problem so we're just guessing until we know whats what!
Anyway, don't panic too much, If it does turn out to be a water issue the symptoms and scratching etc will disappear pretty much overnight once the problem's fixed!

FX1C

Reaction score
If you are changing 50-70% with accurately measured dechlorinated water daily & it's a new tank it's unlikely to be water quality yet. I hope you have a liquid test kit so you can closely monitor the toxin levels.

The video looked to me like the reaction to very early fungus in the gills - they try to scratch their gills with back legs - dog like..

I would give her a salt bath in a separate container (sticky in sick axolotl section) for 10 mins and then add 2 cups of black tea to the tank when you return her to the tank - fridging is not required if you can return her to the tank if the water ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374233166.894565.jpg temperature is stable & under 23degC . Continue doing the 50% water changes daily & add 1 cup of tea a day with each change. (I'll post the black tea info as a pic)

Never add salt to your tank as it is not recommended and salt baths are easy enough to carry out in a separate tub.

I'm very concerned that the tank desperately needs a couple of decent hiding places - keeping the tank open like yours is very stressful & you won't get the best out of your lotl if its freaking out & can't calm down in its quiet place :(

<3 >o_o< <3

Sherleelee

Reaction score
thanks for the tea bath advice, in regards to no hides for her, I was not expecting to need another one just yet, my husband recently lost his job and my work stuffed up my pay so I have to wait till next pay where it will carry over therefore no money for another hide >< Unless there is something around the house I could put in there but I cannot think of anything. I do feed her and clean the water then cover her tank with a towel and she has seemed ok about that for now.

snuggly time

Reaction score
What about a large mug for a hide or even a terracotta pot from the garden if you have one. Anything they can stick their head in and feel a little safer. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!