Axolotl Colors

Blue Spotted

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Display Name
Logan
So I'm planning on getting a pet Axolotl and I basically know the care since I've had many pet amphibians such as Blue Spotted Salamanders and as of now I have a pet American Toad. But I was wondering which color of Axolotls do you guys prefer? The Blue ones (Or black, they look blue to me) or the albinos? I really can't decide so I want to see what you guys say.

Axolotls have very different housing requirements and general care to both species you´ve mentioned. Rather than being content with " i basically know the care", make sure to read as much as you can and become fully acquainted with what they need. Go for "in depth" instead of "basically".

I was just typing quick. I have read at leaat 6 articles on tge care of axolotls, I want to keep them healthy and happy. My pets never perish quick because I always research them before getting them. I have a female American Toad named Lola in a 20 gallon long right now and next month I will have had her for a year. I love Amphibians.

BTW I know Axolotls live in water (De chlorinated) I have play sand as substrated, hides, underwater plants, a filter, and it is kept at room temperature. Its a ten gallon tank, I read everywhere that you can keep one adult in a ten gallon.

How cool is your "room temp"?

Like 70 to 75 degrees (F) but I have the Axolotls cage in a darker area of the room which will probably lower the temp.

10gallon is the minimum size. 20gallon long for one adult is recommended and a additional 10gallons for every axolotl added to the tank.

You think an axolotl can be 10-14" and a 10gallon tank is 20"long and 12" width i think? I know its 20" long.. Thats not a ton of space for a full grown axie.

I would suggest keeping a glass of water in your room where you plan on keeping the tank with a thermometer in it and see what the temp gets to. You dont want it to go over 74 EVER they will fall ill stress and die quickly. They actually like it cooler then "room temp" technically room temp is 21C and ideally 18-19C for an axolotl.

Also did you read up the importance of water parameters and how important it is to test the water and do regular wTer changes weekly and clean out the poop daily or as much as possible? They are definately a lot different then all fish and amphibians and are very sucseptible to chemicals,wAter parameters,heat, handling, sharp objects(lmao i know it sounds obvious but literally if it is sharp they will find it)

Oh I guess I'll just stick to keeping my American Toad.

I think you are taking the advice the wrong way... They aren't trying to put you off, they are just trying to help you ensure you give your axolotl a perfect home for a long happy life.

Axolotls aren't demanding pets. Once your tank has cycled you only need to do a small water change weekly or fortnightly a 20% change. Fully grown axy only need to be fed once every few days - they can even go as long as a week without food. Keeping the temp down can be a pain but once you find a cool area it's pretty easy. And do a spot check once daily it literally takes about five seconds. If you see a poop wipe out the turkey baster suck it up and cleaning is done.

They are also very rewarding... I watch my guys for hours everyday. I find them so very fascinating. They re a lot of fun to feed too.

And to answer your original question... I personally have a golden albino and a two leucistic (White with black eyes and pink/purple gills). And I love them all dearly. My golden albino is a really rich golden colour with stunning silvery iridophores all over her... It's so beautiful. And my big leucistic has gorgeous bright pink gills and freakin' adorable freckles on his face. I'm personally not a fan of wildtypes (Which I think you mean is the blue) but I do absolutely LOVE melanoids :)

It really is just a personal preference and everyone has their own opinion but regardless of colour they still require the same care and are just as rewarding as the next :)

EDIT: Oh, and I can back you up in that you are doing your research... After all you have been asking some very sensible questions in your other thread so you are doing whats right. ANd what you've got in your axy tank so far sounds perfect :D

Okay, maybe I'll get one. The place I saw them at they were only 13 dollars.

Also, does this mean I can't keep an axolotl in my ten gallon? I only have one 20 gallon but thats for my toad and I don't have space to put another one.

If you do decide to get one, post some pics up of your new axolotl. We would all love to see him/her! :D

And remember, if you ever do have a question never be afraid to ask here, no matter how stupid it may sound, because there is a TON of helpful and friendly advice here :) Afterall, we are all still learning new things everyday. Keeping axy is a large learning curve :D

GOOD LUCK!! :D

EDIT: Like I said in you previous post, a 10 gallon is the absolute minimum, and depending on your axys size it will do for a short time. But I do think if possible you should invest in a 20 gallon for future or anything thats bigger then a 10 :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back